Wood Grain Question

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:58am by shell62995

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #1 of 5

Okay
So I have seen so many fabulous wood grain details in many of the cakes here on CC and my question to anyone who will answer is,
how does one get that great wood grain look??
I want to make some tiny wood grain doors for a princess castle and have no clue as to how to do this.
Also I want the door to look like it is made with wooden slabs (do I make sense here LOL)
Any tips on how to achieve this would be grand.

4 replies
crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 5

when i have made wood grain, i have tried leaving some brown food coloring not totally mixed into the fondant, to make it look streaky. i also have marked the fondant with a toothpick to give it wood grain and then painted over it with a food coloring/clear alcohol mixture. i have a couple of different "wood" examples in my photos, including one with planks...hope this helps.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 5

I recently read a forum about this. Here's the thread.....

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-617923-0-days0-orderasc-.html

For myself, I have a roller then i color w/ brown coloring and vodka.

~ Jaime

babycakes73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes73 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #4 of 5

Thanks ladies, good ideas you have. When you use a toothpick to mark the boards, do you just drag it alog the fondant or do you push the whole toothpick in lying it down flat?

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:58am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by babycakes73

Thanks ladies, good ideas you have. When you use a toothpick to mark the boards, do you just drag it alog the fondant or do you push the whole toothpick in lying it down flat?

you drag it icon_smile.gif
gl!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%