Misting Buttercream With Water To Make Fondant Stick???

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm by ibmoser

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 6

I want to ice my cakes tonight and then cover in fondant tomorrow. Has anyone ever misted them with water and then covered them with fondant and how well does this work? I know you can use piping gel but the misting seems much easier if it actually does what it is supposed to do.

5 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:32pm
post #2 of 6

I must say that I have always iced and covered in the same night.. never after the buttercream has crusted. I am sure you will get different opinions about this but I don't see why it wouldn't work if you put a mist on the buttercream... it would just depend on how much you would have to mist to get the fondant to adhere......

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 6

I have a tiny spray bottle with water that I use for this purpose and it has worked fine for me. I spray a LITTLE... and it secures it

Wing-Ding Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wing-Ding Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:35pm
post #4 of 6

Hmmmmmm, never tried that. I wouldn't see why it wouldn't work though. I recently made a cake where I iced it and then I had to go somewhere, so I put the fondant on after it crusted and was refrigerated. I really didn't have any problems. It adhered fine.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 6

I have watched several shows where they put the buttercream frosted cake in the cooler before putting the fondant on. They were saying it needed to firm up first. So i'm wondering how everyone does this. I take it that you don't have to do this, I was wondering how you all do your cakes. thanks Cathy

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:35pm
post #6 of 6

I have a small bottle that sprays a very fine mist that I use with distilled water, though I'm sure that distilled isn't necessary. I have had problems getting fondant to stick to crusted buttercream - the mist does the trick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%