What Sanitizers/cleaners Do I Need For Start Up?

Business By springlakecake Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm by springlakecake

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:15pm
post #1 of 11

Would anyone be willing to help me figure out what sanitizers/cleaners I need for my new business? I emailed the inspector to see if there was a checklist of supplies I needed to have on hand prior to my inpection. She really wasnt very specific and said cleaners, sanitizers etc. I am planning on having my inspection in 2-3 weeks so I would like to make sure I have everything so that I pass. I was thinking of going to gordon foods and looking there. I don't know how much help the store employees will be. I will be working out of my basement kitchen in Michigan if that makes any difference.

10 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #2 of 11

Sorry I can't help but that's a great question. I would be interested in the answer too.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #3 of 11

Talk to a GFS sales rep, not a store employee.

I buy my soaps thru Sysco. By buying the Eco-Lab soaps thru Sysco, Eco-Lab installed the automatically dispensing equipment at no cost to me ... no cost for the equipment and no cost for the soaps. They set up everything for me. I was told (and boy it seemed to be true) that when the HD sees "Eco-Lab" in a kitchen, it's almost an automatic pass. They see that stuff and they know it's being done right.

See if GFS has the same kind of program.

shorty56 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shorty56 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 11

my inspector was fine with me using a regular dish soap (i use dawn) and bleach as a sanitizer. it needs to be 50-100 ppm (at least according to my inspector). i need test strips to pass inspection, but i don't actually need to use them anymore. after doing it over and over i can just eyeball how much water i need per capful of bleach to get it right. the test strips were about $5.00 at a restaurant supply.

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

Thanks! She did mention the test strips.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 11

You need bleach one capful per gallon for santizing. Dawn dish soap is always good. The food code is not specific on what types of cleaners.

Mike

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 11

okay I guess that is easy enough! thanks

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:51pm
post #8 of 11

Same thing here.....was told to use Dawn & Clorox, test strips by HD

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 11

Do you sanitize the dishes with bleach or just surfaces? Sorry if that is a dumb question!

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:33pm
post #10 of 11

I sanitize dishes and surfaces with Clorox.

springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #11 of 11

Is there a certain brand of test strips? The inspector said something about different strips used for different types of sanitizers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%