Just Wanted An Opinion..

Decorating By Sweetlepea Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 3:12am by jammjenks

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 10

I'm making my neices' 12th Birthday cake.. And she told me she wanted a big Zebra striped birthday cake. We ended up sketching out 2 different 2 layer cakes, with zebra striped, bows and ribbons! I cant decide on the pan sizes.. I wanted to do a 10in round, with an 8 in round ontop of that, but do you think that the 8 in would be too big?? Does it have to have a 6? I'm making her Initial with gum paste as the topper. Or I had wanted to do a 13x9 rectangle on bottom, and the 8 in round ontop.. but again.. do I have to have a tiny one ontop, or would the 8 in look okay?
Sorry so long, I just cant decide and its just driving me nuts!

9 replies
sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 10

I think the 8" and 10" rounds would be fine. Just enough ledge for your bows icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 10

Take you pans out & stack them to get an idea of what it will look like.
Personally I don't care for 8 & 10icon_smile.gif
You didn't expect everyone to agree did you?? LOL

It's not that an 8 is too big....it just looks (and is) top heavy.

I would go w/the 9x13 w/either the 6 or 8 on top. The 8 is going to cover from front to back completely. If that's o.k. go for it.

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Take you pans out & stack them to get an idea of what it will look like.
Personally I don't care for 8 & 10icon_smile.gif
You didn't expect everyone to agree did you?? LOL

It's not that an 8 is too big....it just looks (and is) top heavy.

I would go w/the 9x13 w/either the 6 or 8 on top. The 8 is going to cover from front to back completely. If that's o.k. go for it.

Thank you for your advice on stacking your pans first to see what it will look like...this helps me on a project that is ahead of me. It is so simple...why didn't I think of it... icon_redface.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 10

I like the smaller 6" on top just because it makes the cake look taller. Stacking the pans is a great idea to see if you like the proportions.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #6 of 10

This is a 10in bottom and 8in top. I think the 8 on top look fine.
LL

mbpbrighteyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbpbrighteyes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 10

I agree with kakeladi on the stack the pans thing- I do it with most of my cakes even when I know the sizes are okay!!

Whenever I've used a 8" as top, I always land up feeling like it's just "missing something", and feel like it's just not tapered enough for my liking! It's a personal preference though!! There's no structural reason you can't end on an 8"!

Sounds really cute though!! You'll have to post pics!!! thumbs_up.gif

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 10

Yes...Please post pics.

Sweetlepea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetlepea Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #9 of 10

Thank you guys so much!! I'll do the 10 and 8, being able to actually see a pic of what the stacked end peice would like helped a lot too, thanks!!
I'll be sure to post a pic. The party is Sunday. ..Ta know, it actually kinda stinks.. cuz its the day after V-Day. But V-day is my birthday! And Ive got friends coming in, so I'm going to try to get most of it done Friday.. I hope its still good Sunday.....! icon_confused.gif

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetlepea

Thank you guys so much!! I'll do the 10 and 8, being able to actually see a pic of what the stacked end peice would like helped a lot too, thanks!!
I'll be sure to post a pic. The party is Sunday. ..Ta know, it actually kinda stinks.. cuz its the day after V-Day. But V-day is my birthday! And Ive got friends coming in, so I'm going to try to get most of it done Friday.. I hope its still good Sunday.....! icon_confused.gif

Happy early birthday. It will be fine from Friday to Sunday. I do it all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%