Need To Make A 3 Tier Mini Cake For 30. What Pans Sizes?

Decorating By mom2my3girlz Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm by MikeRowesHunny

mom2my3girlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2my3girlz Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 5

I have to make a 3 tier mini cake. It is for a party of only 30. I want to know what pan sizes to use. I have made cakes for people and made them too big for the price. I want to charge the right price for the right size/servings. I dont want to under charge like I have always done.

This cake is a 3 tier cake. It is for a cheerleading group. They are very specific as t what they want. Vanilla cake chocolate filling, fondont, letterings and a gold emblem on the top teir. team name on another tier and year on the other one. Is $90.00 ok for this?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 5

My suggestion would be an 8x4" round; a 4: and a 2" (those two cut w/round, open buciscit cutters). I'd probably bake 3 8" layers & cut the smaller ones from that. The 2" needs be only one layer; the 4 can be either one or two layers.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 5

Taken from the Earlene's chart..........it's hard to get exactly 30 servings with a 3 tier, and still have it be aesthetically pleasing.

You could do a 9", 7", 5", even though it's 38 total servings, and tell them they do have to pay for the 8 extra servings in order to get the 3 tier. ( After thinking about this I personally like to have at least a 3" size difference in the tiers, so I probably would do 2 tiers real cake and 1 dummy tier, of 9", 6", 3" dummy)

Don't undercharge just to accomadate their request, we need to educate some of our clients on the size and servings each cake will serve. Be sure they know that these are 1 x 2 x 4 Wedding size servings, if they want party size those pan sizes will be different and the price will go up.

Pan Sizes Servings
5 inch      6            
6 inch      8        
7 inch      10         
8 inch      15         
9 inch      22         
10 inch     30

Kristen6992 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristen6992 Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 5

I am doing a 10,8,6 in single layer tiered for a shower. It serves about 30.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #5 of 5

Do you have to have 2in between tiers? I did a 3 tier cake for a wedding for 25, and the cake I made served 26 (4,5,6in rounds), the next size up (5,6,7in rounds) would serve 36, so I would probably quote for that one. I think the smaller the cake the more PITA it is to get looking great (especially with fondant), so I would personally charge a bit more - more like $125. Cnpsider the cost of the lustre dust too! I personally think Earlene's chart is way off, you end up giving away cake for free!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%