What Is A Bridal Shower????

Decorating By londonpeach Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm by weirkd

londonpeach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
londonpeach Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 11

Sorry if I sound a bit thick but i've seen cakes on here for bridal showers and i'm not sure what a bridal shower is icon_redface.gif
I'm in the UK and i'm wondering if its the same as a Hen night where we go out with the bride to be and PARTY!!!!!!!!!

10 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:01pm
post #2 of 11

A bridal shower is a party that usually the bride's maid of honor throws her in honor of her up coming marriage.

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 11

I think the "hen night" is more of a bachlorette party. A bridal shower is when you "shower" the bride-to-be with gifts.

Kay_NL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kay_NL Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 11

From my experiences, it's not usually a party but more a gathering of female friends and family who traditionally gave home-type gifts (think dishes, appliances, etc) to the bride to prepare her for her new home! These days it seems many couples live together before marriage so I'm not sure what gifts are common!

The PARTY night, around here, is called a staggette or bachelorette party.

londonpeach Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the quick replies...I understand bridal showers now.
We don't have them in the UK (not that i'm aware of anyway)

I didn't know anyone that had a babyshower before either but a friends friends is having 1 in a couple of weeks and she's asked me to make a cake...I wanted to do the pregnant belly cake but she doesn't like it icon_cry.gif I do and probably wont get the chance to make one now.... looks like my teenage son will be getting one for his birthday cake icon_lol.gif

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:53pm
post #6 of 11

Sorry to hijack the thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonpeach

I wanted to do the pregnant belly cake but she doesn't like it icon_cry.gif I do and probably wont get the chance to make one now.... looks like my teenage son will be getting one for his birthday cake icon_lol.gif

As soon as my brother had a girlfriend in high school my dad decided it was time to discuss responsibility.

He came to sit down for dinner, said, "I don't want anyone coming home after making a baby! Let's eat!"

That belly cake could be your teenagers lesson in responsibility!

londonpeach Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 11

Oh well pastryjen that's one way of getting your message across icon_biggrin.gif

My poor son gets all my practise cakes, I always ask him what he'd like then see something else I want to make and I make what i want icon_redface.gif

I would really like to make a wonky cake but i've seen some disasters on here and i'm having second thoughts now...maybe i'll make one for my hubby.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:57pm
post #8 of 11

im from the UK but live in the US now. I would say the engagement party (UK) is the closest thing to the shower. presents are giving at both, the only differance is the guests, the bridal shower is close female friends where the engagement party is friends and family, oh and the time that these parties are given.

londonpeach Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:16pm
post #9 of 11

Ah so it's a mixture of Hen night and engagement party icon_lol.gif

I just keep looking for more excuses to make cakes, my friends only have hen nights though icon_cry.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:26pm
post #10 of 11

Well engagement parties are also given here in the US. Engagement party is usually given (as the name implies) to announce/celebrate the engagement. The Bridal shower usually comes a short time before the wedding (in my personal experience it's within a month or two before the wedding, more or less) and is traditionally women only, although co-ed (or jack & jill as they are sometimes known) showers have become popular as well. Some people "theme" the showers (kitchen, bedroom, lingerie, "stock the bar" etc), although usually it's items the couple has registered for to set up house. Bachelorette parties are what we call hen night... that's when the REAL fun happens! lol

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 11

A Bacherolette party where the maid of honor, brides maids and friends of the bride go out for one last night of "freedom" so that is like your Hen night.
I believe the tradition of a bridal shower is to give the bride things to start her home with and for her wedding night . Like sexy lingerie. But everything is usually in good taste since the mother of the bride is usually there. Their usually held at a restaurant or home with a lite lunch like tea sandwiches and tea. Ofcourse there are people who vary from this and make it their own!
If you have baby showers there, then its sort of the same thing but instead of baby items, its stuff that might get her the baby shower later on!!!! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%