What Kitchen Aid Mixer?

Decorating By want2bcupcakequeen Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm by -Tubbs

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:00am
post #1 of 28

I desperately need a new mixer. At this point, I've decided on a tilt-head KA since the lift-bowl seems that you can't remove the bowl without first removing the beater. Is it really as much of an inconvenience that it seems? Is 325 watts the strongest one you can get in the tilt head? I want to be able to make fondant without the mixer sounding like it's going to die. I have a 4.5 quart tilt-head now that has been like my best friend, but it's time for a "big girl" mixer now. Can anyone make suggestions?

Thank you.

27 replies
tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:28am
post #2 of 28

I have a 6qt KA. It has a 575watt motor. My husband makes jokes about the neighborhood lights dimming when I use it. It is a lift-bowl. I'm not sure they make that size in a tilt-head. I make fondant, bread, triple batches of cookies....I LOVE it! It is noisy but I guess you have to expect that with 575 watts.

sillyjodes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillyjodes Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:54am
post #3 of 28

You may want to check out the new cuisinart mixers. I don't have one, so I can't give a personal review. However, everything I've read has been fantastic and it will be my next big purchase.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 6:11am
post #4 of 28

im planning to upgrade from the 4.5 KA to the 7qt cuisanart...

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 28

I have a Cooks 700-watt tilt head mixer. It has 12 speeds. I just got it for Christmas. There are a few other members here who had one, and the reviews were pretty good, so I chose that one instead of KA. I like it so far!

ETA: I know you asked for KA suggestions, but I just wanted to share that there's a tilt head mixer with a higher wattage. Hope you figure out which one you want!

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:27pm
post #6 of 28

I'm definitely open to brands other than Kitchen Aid. KA seems to be the big name so I hadn't even thought about other brands.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 3:42pm
post #7 of 28

I have the KA bowl-lift style. Yes, you do have to remove the beater before removing the bowl. No, this isn't frustrating or irritating. I've never run into a situation where I'd want to leave the beater on the mixer (especially all covered in batter or icing!) and remove the bowl.

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 28

I have a lift bowl ka in my personal kitchen. Having to take of the paddle isn't that big of a deal. I like how well it mixes things quickly.

teswade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teswade Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 28

I have never had a problem with my bowl-lift model. At first I really wanted the tilt model but it cost more so i settled for the bowl-lift. you can take the bowl out with the beater still in if you really wanted to. you just have to tilt the bowl a lot when you remove it. the only problem i have come across is that the beater gets in the way when i am scrapping the sides. other than that i love it.

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #10 of 28

I love my lift KA, got for myself for christmas. Wouldn't go back now. Big girl mixers here I come. I personally don't see why I would want to leave the paddle on when removing the bowl, just makes a mess. Good luck

funbun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funbun Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #11 of 28

I have a mixer addiction!! icon_biggrin.gif I have a KA 4.5 tilt, KA lift bowl 6 quart and my new 7qt Cuisinart. I love them all but I would have to say that the Cuisinart is my fav of all. It is a work horse and I find it beats and whips much quicker then my KA's.
HTH

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #12 of 28

I have to say I don't love my KA. I am on my second one. The voltage on it goes in and out. Sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't. My first KA the motor thing on top just fell into my cake one day.
I say invest in something else.

tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #13 of 28

Wow, julzs71, I've never heard anyone have that kind of problem with their KA. Kind of spooks me about mine. I haven't had any problems with it yet, thank goodness

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 28

I have the 4.5 qt tilt KA and recently bought the big mama 6qt lift bowl KA. I love them both, but the 6qt lets me do a lot of big recipes (especially high volume stuff like swiss meringue butter cream) that the little guy just didn't handle very well. My only complaint about the 6 qt lift bowl is that at high speeds it is deafeningly noisy. No conversation, tv, or anything using ears is possible while it's running.

tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #15 of 28

Sometimes I'll put in ear plugs icon_biggrin.gif I don't really want to be deaf when I get older just because of baking.

mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 8:05pm
post #16 of 28

I have a KA and I'm not sure that I like it that well. The BC allways sticks to the spatula and stays there, so when the spatula turns it just turns the blob. It doesn't turn in the bc (If I'm making any sense icon_confused.gif ) That could just be me not knowing a secrete however. It does the same thing with my royal icing. So when making a batch of something I can't just leave it. I have to constantly scrape the blob off and start again.
But it is nice not to have to use a mixer. icon_smile.gif
Jen...

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #17 of 28

I love my KA--I got it just before Christmas and am just now getting around to trying different recipes with it. I'll admit, I've had some issues with BC, but my last batch turned out perfectly once I beat at a higher speed (3). I adore it for making MMF and cream cheese mints. No more manually kneading! It's also great for RI since I don't have to stand there and mix anymore. Instead, I can wash a sinkful of dishes while it mixes for 7 minutes! I am so glad I went ahead and spent the money. By the way, it's a 600 Pro and I got it at at Amazon for $270 plus a $50 which I just recieved the other day in the mail. I decided to go for the big one so it wouldn't burn out on me, but my understanding is that they are really good at replacing broken machines. Good luck!

mellormom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #18 of 28

sorry to hijack the thread but...
Does anyone else have the same problem as me where the bc or RI sticks to the spatula and just a big blob turns instead of the spatula turning in the mixture? Am I doing something wrong?
Jen...

tastyart Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #19 of 28

What speed are you mixing at? Could you turn it up faster and sling the stuff off the beater?

mellormom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 11:31pm
post #20 of 28

I've tried that and it doesn't work. Could my mixer be to small and I'm putting to much in? It seems to do it no matter what is in though. hmmmm......
Thanks for your quick response!
Jen...

tastyart Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #21 of 28

Does your mixer also have this problem with the KA recipies? They usually have indications for the specific mixer sizes. Sometimes, butter will stick to my beater and i have to scrape it off. Once I mix it with other ingredients like sugar it usually gets better.

mellormom Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #22 of 28

It happens with RI too. It just clumps all together and then whole clump goes around and around so the sides of the clump get nice and shiny but.... And I have to scrape the spatula about every minute or so which defeats the pursose of the mixer. Should I be adding the liquid first? then the sugar?
Jen...

tastyart Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #23 of 28

Jen,
I'm thinking about your problem and can't seem to figure out why your mixer is doing that. Now it's really bugging me and I want to figure this out. I'll get back to you. Anyone else have any ideas?

mellormom Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:19am
post #24 of 28

Thanks for trying to help! I'll try the liquid first tomorrow when I make my next buttercream and let you know how it worked.
Jen...

tastyart Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #25 of 28

I start my bc with the butter/shortning, then sugar, etc.

tastyart Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:31am
post #26 of 28

Here is a sight where you can ask KA questions. Maybe they can help.
http://forum.kitchenaid.com/forums/default.asp

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:25pm
post #27 of 28

I have the 600 Pro and last night I made a double batch of BC (4 lbs of p. sugar) and I did have trouble with everything clumping on the beater. I think it was a little too much for the mixer. So, I scraped more than I usually have to, but I will admit that it was irritating...don't get me wrong...I still LOVE my KA Mixer and all in all, it was still easier than mixing two seperate batches.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 2:48pm
post #28 of 28

I also have the 600 pro and really like it. However, I've seen some great deals on the Cuisineart 7 qt, which might tempt me when I'm ready to supplement (I like the idea of having one mixer JUST for royal icing). The cuisineart appeals because it has a timer - I think I'd use that a lot.

I guess it really is all about personal preferences. Just that the KAs look so cool!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%