Sugarshack Variations

Decorating By Heatherly30 Updated 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm by pinkpiggie78

Tipper12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tipper12 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 12:59am
post #31 of 49

I used the modified version for Sugar Shack's BC for the 4.5 qt KA and the original paddle and it turned out perfectly. I do not recommend using the the new scraper paddle for this application, it is too large, takes up too much space in the bowl, etc. Anyway, I was able to complete 2 cakes that turned out really great, nice and smooth and almost professional looking!! I am very pleased so I wanted to thank all of you and especially Sharon for the help and great tips.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:22am
post #32 of 49

honestly, i use sharon's rcipe with crisco. i have not been able to find hi-ratio here and it comes out without an air bubble but i have to agree with what another member said in this forum, buttercream dream is my favorite...........tastes delicious and is also creamy and smooth.

mygirlssweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mygirlssweet Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #33 of 49

I use Sharon's recipe and love it. At first I used a generic shortening that has trans fats and it was the best looking icing I had ever had. Then I got my hands on hi-ratio shortening (cut me an arm and a leg to ship) also a generic brand and I hate it. I have no end of bubbles with the hi-ratio so I am going be to just plain shortening. Any reason for this Sharon?

want2bcupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
want2bcupcakequeen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #34 of 49

I like using the scrapper paddle for cake batters but use the regular paddle for buttercream. I just bought a 5 qt KA and don't know if there is a scrapper paddle for that size.

Now a stupid question - What is hi-ratio shortening and where do you find it?

Tipper12 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #35 of 49

I ordered hi-ratio Sweetex from Global Sugar, and yes, the shipping cost as much as the product but worth it! Look at POURfect website for scraper/paddle for your 5 qt KA. I also ordered POURfect bowls and measuring spoons - they are completely accurate. Even Rose Levy Beranbaum, author of the The Cake Bible recommends them.

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:18am
post #36 of 49

The Pourfect bowls look cool.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 3:53am
post #37 of 49

I use my beater blade for cake mixes, and RI. love it. the only thing is my KA doesn't have a soft star feature, so it makes more of a mess than just the regular paddle.. tho i have trouble with both.

I also use it when I make Sugar shack icing.. but only until I get the first 2 lbs of PS in.. then i swap it out. sure one more thing to through in the diswasher, but I can't ever get the bottom of my bowl clean.

I wanna try it with half butter (butter flavor seems to always taste like popcorn to me). but i feel bad saying its BC and not an oz of Butter in it!

best of luck. i forgot what the original post was about.. oops.

Tipper12 Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 4:58am
post #38 of 49

What is the soft star feature? I have never heard of this??

want2bcupcakequeen Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 5:15am
post #39 of 49

There is a slow stir or soft start that stirs gently and slowly so you don't get the puff of flour, etc. It's nice not to have to cover the mixer with a dish towel when I start mixing the ingredients.

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 7 Jun 2009 , 11:56pm
post #40 of 49

Does anyone know where you can get the wedding bouquet flavoring in bulk? I bought some from GSA to try it and everyone loves it, but buying 8 oz bottles is going to break me!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #41 of 49

the lady that sharon buys hers from.. i bought my bottle from her.. she has it in larger sizes.. can,t remember her name. i will look it up.. or maybe sharon will see this before i get back and tell you.,, i think it is B&B cakery or something like that.. also. i need to know how to make the chocolate version.... i made it fri. nite for the first time . half butter and half hi-ration shortening.. watch video .. just before i made it again.. did exactly like she did.. and mine was so airy.. took me a long time to get it as smooth as i did.. anyway..need how much chocoate to use for the chocolate version.. tia

mygirlssweet Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #42 of 49

I buy bulk wedding bouquet Flavoring from the lady who makes it. Her address is:

B & B Cakes and Supplies
13096 Shannon Lane
Hammond, LA 70401
USA

Her name is Sandra Bertone. Her email address is [email protected]. It is so much cheaper than Global.

icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #43 of 49

that is the one i called.. also... now.. can anyone tell me how much cocoa or melted chocolate to use for the 4 1/2 -5 qt. mixer.. tia

mygirlssweet Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #44 of 49

I don't think Sharron measures her cocoa. Just but whatever amount in you want..depending on how dark and chocolatly you want it.

icer101 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:27am
post #45 of 49

thanks for the info on the chocolate.. that is what i was thinking.. thanks again..

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:39am
post #46 of 49

Heatherly30: If you are satisfied with Sugarshack's icing but miss the flavor of butter, why not just add some butter flavoring in addition to whatever other flavoring you use. That might just do the trick.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 12:55am
post #47 of 49

Thanks mygirlssweet!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 8 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #48 of 49

Thanks for the 4.5 KA recipes Heatherly and a couple of other people as well!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 12 Jun 2009 , 1:15pm
post #49 of 49

So I used Sharon's BC last night for the first time... and I had air bubbles... more than I ever have with my half butter and half store-bought shortening. I can't squeeze another drop into my KA mixer... help? It smoothed wonderfully, but there are pock marks all over from the air bubbles.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%