Does Anyone Else Hate Mini Cuppies?

Baking By ArtieTs Updated 5 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm by cylstrial

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 16

Just had to vent & would like some feedback. I have a client that has placed 1 previous cupcake order with me & it was for 4 dozen mini cuppies. I hate those things. icon_cry.gif To me they are too much work for so little profit. The problem I had is decorating the lil buggers. They kept fallin out of the liners, just a pure mess. I believe I told her last time I would not do mini's again & sure enough she, placed another order for 2 dozen mini's & 2 dozen regular size & a 1/4 sheet cake as well. I need the money so bad took the order. Now my problem is she wants the cuppie to be heart shaped icon_eek.gif She bought the silicone pans that do not work. I spent my whole weekend trying to get them to work. I baked with a liner & without, they all looked like crap!! Now I'm stuck with several dozen tasty but stupid looking cupcakes. I refuse to send out an order lookin a mess. Any suggestions other than just telling her that I'll do the cuppies, not heart shaped but valentine decorated, so much easier. Does anyone have a good trick for fool proof heart shaped cupcakes. OH! That foil ball in the regular liner trick doesn't work either, well not for me at least. Thanks CC.

15 replies
CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 16

I've seen them put other things in the well to force the liner to a specific shape. Marbles, clean new rocks...
They wouldn't be uniform however. I'd really push for her to change to a decorated cuppie.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 16

Wilton makes a regular aluminum pan that is small heart-shaped depressions. I would make the ccs in there with no liner, just pan grease (or maybe the Pam with flour) and then place them in a larger liner that fits, like a petit four.

KoryAK Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 16

Also... how much are you charging per? Make sure you charge what it is worth to YOU to make it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:02am
post #5 of 16

Smaller does not mean cheaper. They are paying for the time and talent, not the dollop of cake.

Debi Says: One-fourth the size means four times the price.

KoryAK Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #6 of 16

haha Debi.

And to OP as a point of reference, I charge $1.50 for mini cupcakes (just a swirl of icing), $3.50 for full size plain, and $4 for full size filled.

ArtieTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ArtieTs Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks everyone for the feedback & suggestions.

WHEW!!!!!! I was able to partially dodge that heart shaped mini-cuppie bullet, so to speak. I explained to her that in my opinion they would not look that great & I didn't feel comfortable attempting to make several dozen mini-cuppies & would commit to doing maybe 1 dozen but surely not 2 & she agreed. She was real understanding & is OK will my ideas for decorations, she actually ordered another small cake to go with that order, and so I'm very happy about how this is turning out. Thanks again CC fam.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 16

Althought a PP had CUTE cake balls made from those silicone molds. Stuff with the "goo", freeze, pop out and dip.... easy and cute. thumbs_up.gif

I would try that instead of mini- cuppies any day.

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 13 Feb 2009 , 11:40pm
post #9 of 16

KoryAK, them's Alaska prices...I couldn't ask $3.50 for a single cupcake, no way! icon_biggrin.gif

EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:20pm
post #10 of 16

Glad to hear it is all working out, seemed kind of stressful. I have never made mini cupcakes though so I don't know how much of a pain they are. It's amazing the money that can be made in cupcake baking and decorating. How did you start getting business, I'd love to try soon, esp. as a hobby and to help perfect my skills.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus

Althought a PP had CUTE cake balls made from those silicone molds. Stuff with the "goo", freeze, pop out and dip.... easy and cute. thumbs_up.gif

Here it is from Rocketgirl899. I think these turned out really cute but still quite a bit of work.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617934.html

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 18 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemade-Goodies

KoryAK, them's Alaska prices...I couldn't ask $3.50 for a single cupcake, no way! icon_biggrin.gif

I start filled and decorated cuppies at $4.50 each and I am just in little ole' New Hampshire. They are the same amount of cake as a wedding serving (a little more actually). I do plain with a swirl and un-filled for $3.50 each too. I hate minis... they are a pain in the arse. I don't offer them.

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:24am
post #13 of 16

No but I hate the word cuppies...sounds like an animal or training bra icon_rolleyes.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 12:38am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoLady

No but I hate the word cuppies...sounds like an animal or training bra icon_rolleyes.gif

HIGH FIVE BACK AT 'CHA, BABE!!!!

I also get an involuntary shudder when I hear/read the word "SLAB" cake - it's a sheet cake ... when someone says SLAB cake, I get this image of their tongue coming all the way down their chin as they drag out the word SL-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-B cake! icon_lol.gif

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:50am
post #15 of 16

And how about when people say this cake "feeds" 40. Hello? You feed cattle and you serve people. icon_biggrin.gif
How many people will this cake serve?
Is there a website on proper food etiquette? icon_rolleyes.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 5 Mar 2009 , 5:03pm
post #16 of 16

I'm with you. I think mini cupcakes are a PITA!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%