Is There A Way To Do This?!?!

Decorating By Jeannie21 Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 2:09am by Jeannie21

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 16

I really really really want to make a cake that looks like this picture attached. Its very important to me because Its the drawing of what our new church will look like. Our old cathedral burnt down and our parish has been recieving donations for so many years to build a new one.
Can anyone tell me how to do this? is there a tutorial anywhere with directions? Please please please if you can help at all id appreciate it...I have no idea where to start! Our parish is having a banquet dinner at the end of february so i'd have to do it by then.

Thanks so much!!!

15 replies
Jeannie21 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 16

anyone? *bump*

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 16

Wow that's intricate. I guess if it were me doing it, I would make atemplate and try it in pastillage...or make a silicon mold and try choclate.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #4 of 16

Sorry, I know my limitations and there's no way I could pull that cake off in 3D! Have you considered having one of the views printed on edible image paper and putting that on the cake?

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 16

[Bump]

I am sorry to hear of the disaster your church encountered. That is a lovely new cathedral!

I wish I knew how to help you, I am sure Doug could be a great help, he knows so much about structuring cakes. The only thing I can think of would be to carve out the basic shape out of stacked 1/4 sheet cakes and stacked 1/2 rounds on the ends then doing turrets similar to how castle cakes are done.

Good Luck!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 16

It would basically be a tiered cake carved into the approporiate shape. I would definitely cover with fondant using cutouts for windows, doors, etc. The turrets could be make from forms, or rkt or fondant - whatever would work best for you.

That is quite an undertaking! Be sure to post pics!

brownsugar1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brownsugar1 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 16

I recall in one of the Wilton books they had a Cathedral. When I go home, I will try to find the issue.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:00pm
post #8 of 16

I'm also very sorry about what happened to your church...that is devastating!
There's a company that sells a cutter to make a castle that is somewhat close to the church you need...maybe you can do some adjustments and make it with gumpaste and use it as a topper for the cake?? just a suggestion...
I'll try to put a pic of the sample of how it should look if you use the cutter...but please make a note I did not make this cake...I just found a sample of how the castle should look if you use the cutter...and no, I don't have the cutter either but been wanting to order it, but it's kind of expensive...
The name of the company is 'Have Your Cake and Eat it' icon_smile.gif

Good luck!
LL

rnp3603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rnp3603 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #9 of 16

I agree with the previous posts, that's quite an undertaking! In case you consider using pastillage for at least part of the details, here's a tutorial. It doesn't show how to make a building structure, but it might inspire u.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=69493&st=60

I wish u good luck with this project.

Jeannie21 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #10 of 16

thank you all for the responses! im going to do the best I can and see what happens!lol If anyone has any more ideas or links please let me know!

oh and rnp3603- i couldnt see the instructions for carving a building in your link...am i just missing it?

rnp3603 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

It doesn't show how to make a building structure, but it might inspire u.

You may use the idea of a template to make the towers out of pastillage. Even the windows and other decorations.

rnp3603 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:07am
post #12 of 16

The previous link takes u to page 3 of the tutorial. Sorry if that confused u. On page one is explains how using manila folders you can make of a template to cut out the pastillage.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #13 of 16

Are you kidding???

That's got gingerbread written alllll over it!!!

And some gelatin sheet windows. Be still my heart.

gingerbread
gingerbread
gingerbread

My church is so non gingerbready it hurts.
I think I'm moving my membership!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #14 of 16

try using the Wilton Romantic castle set, or ice cream cones for the towers, i will work on some sketches and talk to my hubby about the logistics ( he's in construction, so he helps me figure out how to stack cakes so they dont topple) hmmm, i have ideas but i'll have to work on them.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #15 of 16

Okay this is gonna be long, hopefully makes sense, if not i can sketch out and fax it to you...but here it goes

Bake large square cake for base ( you'll probablly want this layered)

for your tower parts i would suggest getting the wilton romantic castle cake set you can ice fondant or whatever these pices to look how you need them to

also get the wilton (or other brand , i have had th wilton one for years but i am sure someone else makes them too)
3D stand up cottage cake pan, this will give you the dimensional stand up "house" shape ...

this is hard for me explain in type...sorry, but hopefully these work for you, as i said if you need me to fax ( or even over the phone ) try and help you with this design i can just let me know!

Good Luck!!

Jeannie21 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #16 of 16

Wow thanks dsevans! Ill look up those things and hopefully I can do that. That was so sweet of you!

k8memphis-i thought about gingerbread but i really wanted to do cake, but thanks for the thought!

rnp-thanks! now i see what u mean.

Thanks for all the help everyone, i hope I can pull this off !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%