3D Cake Fillings

Decorating By mom2rascals Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm by hcouso

mom2rascals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2rascals Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #1 of 21

This may be a silly question but, what is a good tasting, solid/durable filling that can be used for building 3D cakes? Perhaps something that goes with WASC? Any suggestions?

20 replies
mom2rascals Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:49am
post #2 of 21

No suggestions?

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 21

Do you mean a sculpted cake? I don't allow any fillings in my sculptures due to the increased risk of shifting and the extra work involved in the process. They get a thin layer of buttercream between layers of cake, and that's their only option.

Deanna

bakers2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakers2 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 21

I torte my 3-D cakes the same way I torte wedding cakes and fill the same way also...IMBC is my usual - but have used ganache or cream cheese...

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:58pm
post #5 of 21

I use a truffle filling most of time, but I do fill with anything--you just need a good, strong dam (I mix a small amount of BC into cake crumbs).

Truffle filling
16 oz cream cheese, softened
4 c milk chocolate chips (2 bags)
1/3 c butter
1-1/2 t vanilla
2 c PS, sifted

Beat the cream cheese. Melt the chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese. Add vanilla and PS; beat well. It hardens as it cools. You can soften it for a few seconds in the microwave if it gets too thick to spread.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 21

I do put filling but in very small amounts. Is best to stay all buttercream.. The one that macsmom put sound delicious though!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 21

Stay w/ something that's on the thicker more sturdy side if you're wanting to do something besides buttercream. I also torte, carve, cut a nick in the side (for lining up), then dam & fill

mom2rascals Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:45am
post #8 of 21

I torted and layered and used buttercream for a filling, but I found that the cake was way too sweet. I'm looking for other options . . . has anyone used jam? or some kind of fruit filling? (or something a little more refreshing than sweet?)

mom2rascals Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:10am
post #9 of 21

Anyone else like to share?

MacsMom Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #10 of 21

I use any filling. Like I said, a stiff dam is all you need - the filling won't go far because it is sandwiched, and there should be center dowels through a topsy or tilted cake, reducing the likelihood of a torte slipping off of the lower torte.

I like the truffle filling because the cream cheese and butter cuts the sweetness.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #11 of 21

I have used other fillings too. The dam works well. I just dont put too much filling so it doesnt slide.
Edna

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:21am
post #12 of 21

I've used raspberry jam before. It can make things a little more likely to slide. MacsMom is right on though, the key is a good dam and sturdy support structure.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #13 of 21

I use thick 2" layers of cake and then buttercream between layers. If they want like a flavored buttercream that is fine, or a stiffer ganache may work...otherwise for stability I prefer to use very few fillings other than bc.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 2:19pm
post #14 of 21

You can beat the heck out of bettercream & it can get really thick. I even think just stiff peaks would be fine. It has a lighter & fluffier texture

mom2rascals Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #15 of 21

I've seen recipes for ganache, but what exactly is it? I thought it was thin enough to "pour" on . . . or am I thinking of something else?

MacsMom Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #16 of 21

You can pour ganache over a cake while it's warm, or use it as a fudge filling if you chill it/let it harden.

I would just use straight melted chocolate over a cake layer, pop it in the fridge to let it harden, for the crunch she thinks the customer after.

mom2rascals Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #17 of 21

MacsMom, your cakes are so beautiful! Thanks for all your advice on recent posts. I've learned so much from you.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:13pm
post #18 of 21

the only thng I wouldn't use is fresh fruit. I use all the same fillings: buttercreams, pastry creams, preserves, etc.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #19 of 21

I only use ganache or buttercream as fillings for carved cakes.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:01pm
post #20 of 21

I used jam and it kept sliding (no dam though). I think next time I'll use a thin layer of thick buttercream.

hcouso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hcouso Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 8:02pm
post #21 of 21

I fill ALL of my sculpted cakes and don't use dams. I make my own mousses, put a pretty good 1/3-1/2 inch layer, at least, on and stick it in the fridge to chill and set up and then continue on my way with the carver. I've not had a problem with any and I've also used cheesecake, whipped cream and fresh cut friut with whipped cream. I love the mousse the best and I think it sets up nicely.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%