Whipped Icing/topping For Wedding Cakes

Decorating By Debo44 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 3:37am by prterrell

Debo44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debo44 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:59am
post #1 of 5

Please help. I have been to weddings and the cake will have a whipped typed icing. it is light and the color is very white. I have been searching for a good recipe. I tried a stabilized whipped icing recipe today with real whipping cream. It was good. However, i am not sure how it will hold up for a wedding cake.
If anyone has a good recipe they have used and would like to share, i would greatly appreciate it.
thank you,
deb

4 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:09am
post #2 of 5

It was probably Italian Meringue Buttercream or Swiss Meringue Buttercream. You can find recipes here on Cake Central.

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:10am
post #3 of 5

Have you tried Rich's Bettercream or Pastry Pride Vanilla Whipped topping?

I get Pastry Pride at Smart n Final. It comes frozen. I really like it. I works great for me. I make roses with it and the borders pipe nicely. Holds up well for me too!

It tastes just like the grocery store whipped icing.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 5

i too suggest a meringue buttercream. it is light, fluffy and creamy , yet incredibly stable. perfect for wedding cakes.

i use swiss meringue buttercream. i use alot of vanilla in it so it isnt pure white, but if you wanted to have a brighter color, you could use clear imitation vanilla. it wont taste as great (in my opinion) as with a pure extract, but the color will be brighter.

2.5 c white sugar
1.25 c egg whites
5 sticks unsalted butter
2-4 tb pure vanilla

over double boiler, heat and whisk sugar and whites for approx. 3-5 minutes until it is no longer grainy (feel it between your thumb and finger). put in mixer with whisk attachment and whisk on high for about 7-10 minutes or until cool. switch to paddle attachment. on low (2 or 3) add small cubes of butter. keep mixing on low, it will look curdled but eventually become smooth. add vanilla.

serve at room temperature!!! a chilled cake will taste like hardened butter, but a room temp cake will taste devine!

chill frosted cake before covering w/ fondant.

fine stored at cool room temp (70) for up to a day and a half, but refrigeration for leftovers is best. store up to one week in fridge, one month in freezer. (sealed well) . re whip (low) defrosted icing before using left overs.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #5 of 5

IMBC is divine. It has a luscious, melt-in-your-mouth quality that cannot be surpassed. It is both light and rich at the same time. It is sweet without being cloying. It is just the best icing ever!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%