Pricing Mini Cakes?

Business By kellertur Updated 11 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm by Cakechick123

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:55am
post #1 of 26

How do you all price mini cakes? I need to make 6 mini (4" square)cakes ordered by a local store, but have no idea how to figure this. I asked my DH but he said: "$6.00 each." His quote sounded high, but I have no idea... These are dessert cakes with chocolate ganache and espresso. Since they will be sold by the store, how do I figure this for mini cakes? (they aren't slices, but each one covered in ganache)

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

25 replies
aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 26

If I was just pouring ganache for decoration and nothing else, I would charge $22 each. If I were to decorate them - buttercream or fondant with piping or whatever, it would be $35+ depending on what. For EACH 4" square.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #3 of 26

icon_eek.gif $6 is absolutely WAY too little to chrage for these!! Don't do them for so little $. These threads talk about mini cakes, tiered mostly, but give you a better idea about the time it takes to do them. Little does NOT = simpler, trust us.....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-398193-mini.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-614319-mini.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-604083-mini.html

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:22am
post #4 of 26

If I were cutting these 4" square cakes (assuming 2 layers so they are a perfect 4" square?), I'd cut them into 1x2x4" servings, which would give me 8 servings (2 columns by 4 rows). At my rate of $3.50/serving = more than $25 per cake. YOu are using some premium stuff on these puppies!

Never ask hubby for a price recommendation unless he's a bakery person himself. When we got married, my hubby thought a 3 tier wedding cake to serve 150 people should cost about thirty bucks. icon_eek.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:37am
post #5 of 26

These are such a PITA to do. Make sure to charge a pretty good amount.
$6 is WAY too low!

kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 4:19am
post #6 of 26

WOW, I must be undercharging... thanks for the wakeup call!!! icon_eek.gif

I did actually cut them similarly to Indydebi, I cut a 8", 2 layer (each layer has 3 layers of filling) cake, but into 6 pieces. I am so confused... icon_confused.gif and I'm tired. I know each mini cake is atleast 2 servings... so I am pricing per serving eventhough it's now a bunch of minis? I'm overthinking this... dunce.gif

So DH said $6.00 per square, which would be $36.00 for all 6 pieces/entire cake. So I price these as a unit, as though it's "one" cake? Is this reasonable...?

Debi, you are so right about my ingredients. I just realize how much I've been "giving away". icon_eek.gif All this time I haven't even been factoring in labor (my time is free apparently).

They came out so cute!!! They are HIGHLY charged with caffeine, and covered in espresso beans and then 60% ghiraedelli chocolate ganache. The ultimate "coffee cake".

I'm not usually this dense... I'm very tired and I become really confused by all this "confection math"... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you for helping. icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:14pm
post #7 of 26

We need a terminology fix. Each cake is a tier. (Tier doesn't mean stacked.) Each tier is composed of layers of cake and filling. Your 4" square tier has four layers of cake and three layers of filling? If yes, then As Debi said, each tier serves 8, and should be priced as such.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:32pm
post #8 of 26

Each mini cake serves 8 not 2! I would charge at least $35 each individual cake so 6 x 35 = $210 total! Don't take any less! (assuming that each cake is a 4"x4"x4" cube)

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:44pm
post #9 of 26

Okay... so you started with an 8" square cake. The cake started as 2 layers of cake that were torted to give you 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling in the finished cake. Then you cut the 8" square cake into 6 pieces and iced them. Am I following you correctly?

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #10 of 26

I'm confused too.......if the 8" cake was cut into 6 pieces how are you ending up with a 4 x 4 x 4" cube? Aren't you in fact ending up with 6 cakes that are a little less than 3".

If you were to cut the 8" cake into 4 cakes than you would have 4 - 4" cubes........no? icon_confused.gif Am I over thinking this now?

FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 26

I'm thinking that they are 4x4x3-ish" and not cubes. I think we need pictures. icon_lol.gif

kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I'm confused too.......if the 8" cake was cut into 6 pieces how are you ending up with a 4 x 4 x 4" cube? Aren't you in fact ending up with 6 cakes that are a little less than 3".

If you were to cut the 8" cake into 4 cakes than you would have 4 - 4" cubes........no? icon_confused.gif Am I over thinking this now?

That was the origional plan, BUT I realized I was going to have to bake an "extra" set of cakes to make them all 4x4. So, It was decided to just cut 6 minis from the torted and filled 8" (2 layer) cake. (I'm getting a migraine).

They ended up being about 2.5 x 4". The store wanted them as "mini cakes" all with poured ganache and individually boxed in plastic container. I have not quoted a price yet, I'm friendly with the staff. I just became so confused because this is considered "wholesale" not selling directly out of my house, so the price does go down. I'm just not sure how much. icon_confused.gif

Ok, no more minis for me. From now on, I'm just going to bake a cake, decorate or whatever, (and if they want idividual servings) I'll slice it up neatly and box them up. This is insane~ and I'm making myself sound unintelligent with all these questions... I hate pricing!!! icon_mad.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:17pm
post #13 of 26

Okay... well seeing as how you started with an 8" cake. Take your per serving price multiply by 30 and get the cost for the whole cake. Divide that by six and add a few dollars per cake for the fact that you had to ice them all separate. For me this would be $5 x 30 = $150 / 6 = $25 each plus the extra $3 = $28. Not something that would be economical for the store though. For whole sale you could knock a little off, but not much as it would eat into your profits. icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 26

Thanks~ icon_smile.gif I wasn't going to charge as much, because it's a small store and someone told me wholesale means "very little money for your product", or "just above cost". I'm going to give this a lot of thought ~ but I won't be "giving them away" anymore at such low cost.

They were a lot of work, more than I expected. I can't see ANYONE in this part of Maine paying even $10.00 for a 2.5x4" cake... sad as that sounds. But I guess they can always go to that "other place" that starts with a "W"... icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks for being so patient with my questions. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:39pm
post #15 of 26

Shhhh.. don't say that word. It scares me. icon_wink.gif

People stop into a store for something quick and easy. They aren't thinking about what goes into it. I'd say leave the wholesaling to the big guys and focus on making cakes for occasions. Where in Maine are you? I'm not too far from Kittery, but you sound like you might be further up.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:46pm
post #16 of 26

I just want to say that mini cakes are so time consuming that they are never and I mean NEVER good profit, I really don't like making mini cakes

Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:46pm
post #17 of 26

Oh, alright I finally understand............you'll have to excuse me, Monday is my day off and apparently even my brain has the day off icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you usually sell wholesale or is this the first time? The reason I ask is, unless you buy at huge volume and can put out a lot of these things in very little time, is it really worth it to you? I know that being a one woman operation, I couldn't afford to sell at wholesale prices, I just don't buy at large enough volume to make it cost effective for me.

I think if I had this same call, I would have to say I'm sorry I don't sell at wholesale prices however I can sell them to you at a slight discount if this will be something you need on a weekly basis.........or something like that. Maybe discount 10 - 20%, if you want the business. Really, I would probably want to say something like "Do I have the words Sam's Club tattooed on my forehead?" LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I wonder what they will do with the cakes icon_rolleyes.gif Seems like cupcakes would have been a little easier and more cost effective for you both.

BTW........what kind of weather are you girls having in Maine and NH, we've been close to 50 degrees here in SE MA, with a LOT of melting going on, thank goodness!! It's supposed to be in the 40's all week.......yay!!

FromScratch Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #18 of 26

It has been warm up here in southern NH too. It's crazy when it hits 55 and you feel like you could break out your shorts (if they only fit icon_lol.gif).

kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 11:58pm
post #19 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

"Do I have the words Sam's Club tattooed on my forehead?" LOL icon_biggrin.gif

I wonder what they will do with the cakes icon_rolleyes.gif Seems like cupcakes would have been a little easier and more cost effective for you both.

You are too funny... I love it! icon_lol.gif

I dropped them off around 3:30 this afternoon, and as I handed the invoice to the manager~ the employees bought THREE. icon_eek.gif .
I guess it pays to drop off samples!! I have another order, but told them I'd have to charge a bit more. Wholesale stinks! But I look at it like a commercial, if that makes sense. icon_confused.gif If I didn't have a personal history with this store (health food) I wouldn't bother, but it's helping get my name out. I found out the same Yoga instructor keeps buying all my stuff not long after I drop it off. Now, if he'd only call the darn number on the label and check out my website!!! icon_rolleyes.gif

Deb_ Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #20 of 26

That does sound like a great lead for your business, congratulations! I'm happy it worked out so well for you.

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #21 of 26

never undercut yourself doing wholesale, yes typically when people think of wholesale they think "cheap" but it is not the case in the specialty food market...trust me...i have ordered many specialty foods for brides ( truffles mainly), your retail establishment will mark up the product according to their profit margin standards, when i make items that will be sold at an establishment other than mine I do not discount more than 20% what i would charge anyone else.

kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 2:23am
post #22 of 26

Thanks for the input and perspective. The store's mark-up is 1.5 %. The cafe is about the same.

I'm a bit discouraged tonight, because I delivered a Turtle dessert cake to a cafe I'm dealing with, and the cafe owner said he tells people who I am (have to take his word) and that all my business cards are gone (and brochures) and there's been nothing but positive feedback... BUT why aren't these people calling me at home or emailing from my website? He said a few customers even said I should "open my own bakery" - well, DUH... dunce.gif It's called a "home bakery". icon_rolleyes.gif

paolacaracas~ your cakes are incredible!! You should have your own show! icon_smile.gif

dsevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsevans Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #23 of 26

if they are only doing a 1.5 markup, charge them normal, they are taking advantage of you. most places charge a minimum of 35% markup(50% is standard), you should olace a business sticker on each container you package your goods in ( well that is if they are gonna be sold in original packaging), and I can hardly believe their markup is only1.5, have you verified this other than just their word for it??...Just curious

kellertur Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 5:59pm
post #24 of 26

I was wrong about the cafe. His markup is 50%... he makes quite a bit off my work. (he doesn't put my label on anything, but the healthfood store does, which I appreciate.)

However, at that healthfood store I actually saw them calculate cost and sticker the cakes when I brought them in. (that's how I knew the employees bought half of them). Maybe it's low because they know me??? It's just a small, independently owned health food store.

On a good note~ today I received my first wedding cake call (from a stranger) for a June wedding!!!! It's not definite and they'll be calling tonight, but he had seen my website. (I think it might be that Yoga guy... same name, but not sure)
Do men often call about wedding cakes icon_confused.gif

I'll be posting some questions in another thread, because he wants a 3-4 tier square cake for 150 ppl. They want to keep it simple and smooth, so that's just FINE with me. icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:15pm
post #25 of 26

For a 4x4x4 cake done up with strictly buttercream I start at $15 and go up from there.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 11 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #26 of 26

the only time I would go wholesale prices is if it is something that can be mass prodused, so theoretically your individual cost should go down the more you produce.

Mini cakes does not fall into that category. It still takes the same amount of time wheter you bake 50 or 500. Mine does in any case as I can only fit 50 mini pans into my oven. The icing time also stays the same for no1 or no 500.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%