Transfering Lettering To A Cake Without Projector?

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 12:41am by chilz822

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:05am
post #1 of 13

Have had trouble trnsfering writing to a fondant cake. Tried pinpricking and didn't like it. Freehand was a disaster and I don't have a projector. Anyone tried this pencil method or piping gel transfer method? Which is better. Any ideas or detailed instructions I can follow? Thank you!

12 replies
val_nutrimetics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
val_nutrimetics Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:21am
post #2 of 13

Hi,
Personally, I love the piping gel transfer method. It hasn't let me down yet. Mirror the writing on your pc, print it out, trace with piping gel (using a #1), and press lightly onto cake!

Hope this helps!
Val.

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #3 of 13

Thank you - a few questions, though -
1 -I trace right on the paper, or on saran wrap over the paper
2- do I wait for the piping gel to dry?

Thanks so much!

val_nutrimetics Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:26am
post #4 of 13

I'm sorry! I forgot to mention using parchment or wax paper! And I was so sure I had explained it right! lol.

Val.

val_nutrimetics Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:27am
post #5 of 13

Oops, hit submit too soon again! Press it on the fondant while it's wet.

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 13

I also use my printer. I can measure exactly what dimensions I can use for the message, pick from any number of fonts, and personalize it to the cake. I print as a mirror image and tape the paper to the back of a piece of acetate. I then use royal icing and pipe the letters. When the royal icing has dried, I press the message into the cake. This works on fondant (still fresh) and buttercream (crusted). I have really good luck with this. icon_smile.gif

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 13

val_nutrimetics,
can you please, please explain step by step how this whole transfer thing with piping gel works. I am really confused.
I have never done this before and it sounds so much easier then making the entire thing out of royal icing.
A few questions for ya >>>
1.After you press the image with the piping gel onto the cake, how or with what do you fill in the picture?

2.Do I just outline the picture with royal icing right over the piping gel?

3. If I fill it in with thinned royal icing, won't it bleed on a standing cake?

Thank you so much

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 13

poohsmomma,
you leave the entire word on the acetata and press it against the cake? Do you have problems with breakage? I want to try this but have been afraid of it being too delicate... I have a monsterous collection of fonts and was bummed that I couldn't take advantage of them!

Is there a specific RI that you use?

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 13

hi guys

i used these instructions to make my first buttercream transfer and it was very easy to do

Gel Transfer
This is a fast method, but it is difficult to use for very intricate designs. It produces a mirror image.

Tint Piping gel with either gel or paste colors so it is visible against the icing on a cake or it contrasts with a cookie.

Put it in a pastry bag fitted with a #1 tip or a plastic squeeze bottle (my favorite).

Draw a pattern on a piece of wax paper using an indelible marker.

Turn the wax paper over so the ink in on the backside. Spray backside with a light coating of vegetable oil spray.

You can lay the wax paper on top of a design and simply trace with Piping gel !

CAREFULLY place side with gel design on top of cake or cookie its best if you have let the frosting harden for a few minutes if decorating a cake. (If decorated with sparkling sugar, place right side up, if you can).

Carefully press the gel with your fingers gently -- and then lift the wax paper off. The design will have transferred to the cake or cookie. You should be able to get two or three transfers from each sheet of wax paper.

OR

http://www.wilton.com/decorating/patterns/transferring-patterns.cfm

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #10 of 13

staceyboots, got it! thankx

poohsmomma Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:14am
post #11 of 13

The acetate I use is actually a clear plastic folder from Walmart that I cut into a 8 1/2 X 11 sheet. Sometimes the royal icing does break off, but it lifts right up with a toothpick, and is not a problem. For the RI, I use Wilton meringue powder recipe, or if I'm out of that, I must make it with egg whites.

poohsmomma Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #12 of 13

Another thing...
I press the lettering into the cake before attaching any 3-D pieces or putting on any edgings/borders.
I've never thought about using it for transferring other types of designs, but I guess that could be done.

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #13 of 13

Thanks! Between your method and what I learned about stenciling, I'm so excited now to try new designs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%