Cake Pans. Which Ones Should I Buy???

Decorating By 1of5wives Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm by Narie

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 22

I wanted to know, what kind of pans have really straight edges... I want my square cakes to be really square. I have found the wilton pans have a slight slope to them (or is it just me?) I want straight up and down no curves in the top/bottom. What does everyone recommend..

21 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:16pm
post #2 of 22

Magic Line, without a doubt!

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #3 of 22

It is so weird, I was going to post this exact question later! I have noticed that with the Wilton pans. The round ones are sloped as well and my cakes never look straight!

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 22

Chutzpah hit it right on the money!!!! You won't be disappointed.

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #5 of 22

You're not seeing things. I have the Wilton square set ( 16,12,8 ) and they have a slope to them. I didn't really realize for a long time that you could get pans that had straight up and down sides. That would have made things a little easier!

dmich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmich Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #6 of 22

I LOVE my Magic Line pans! The edges of the cake come out so much cleaner compared to my other pans (Wilton and others).

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 22

I agree about Magic Line pans. I have never been able to understand WHY you anyone would want pans with the sloping sides and WHY they are even made. Anyone know?

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:01am
post #8 of 22

Are Magic Line pans as readily available as Wilton ones?

chutzpah Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie1962

I agree about Magic Line pans. I have never been able to understand WHY you anyone would want pans with the sloping sides and WHY they are even made. Anyone know?

I'll give it a shot.... Wilton's way of soaking even more money out of beginners??

1of5wives Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1of5wives Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #10 of 22

Does anyone know where to buy Magic Line in Ontario Canada??

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:39am
post #11 of 22

I LOVE my fat daddio pans. My cakes come out awesome. I believe global sugar art has them on sale too.

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #12 of 22

What is the difference between fat daddio and magic line, if anyone knows? I googled. They are both 16 gauge aluminum with straight sides. It looks like the the fat daddio pans are about 25% cheaper. It looks like fat daddio offers a 4" deep round pan. I didn't see that depth in the magic line. But it also appears that magic line has a lifetime warranty. I find that interesting. There was no mention of that with fat daddio, but that could just be a website glitch. But at least the Wilton pro round cake pans in the graduated set have straight sides. It might be worth using a coupon to get those. Anyone else have anythng to add? I am just starting out so this is very seful information to me. Thanks!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:06am
post #13 of 22

This question gets asked about once a week on here. I'm sure the search function will bring up a bunch of threads.

Most pros will tell you Magic Line, and I certainly agree. Fat Daddios have a slick finish on them that makes them easy to clean, but I do think it interferes with the baking. Also the bottom of the corners of FD pans are rounded. But the biggest PITA about FD pans is the special baking temp required. They should be used at 300. I can't have 1 or 2 pans in my closet that require special handling. When I bake I grab the sizes of pans I need, fill 'em up and toss them in the oven. If I have a FD pan, then I have to fire up a second oven because it's "special."

uschi1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uschi1 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #14 of 22

I've not heard of Magic Line, but I have the Fat Daddios square pans. I ordered them from Golda's Kitchen and love them! Much better quality than Wilton!

Skirt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Skirt Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:13am
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

... Also the bottom of the corners of FD pans are rounded.

As do the Wilton pro ones. Which have straight sides BTW (I just checked mine!). Does that mean that the Magic Line pans are true cylinders with sharp corners where the side meets the bottom?

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:33am
post #16 of 22

I have been on here about three weeks and actually asked about pans maybe yesterday. I think chutzpah was kind enough to mention Magic Line so I had actually been looking at some of those. I had never even heard of Fat Daddio, but glad that someone else has experience with them. Rounded bottoms don't matter to me now, but probably will in a few months once I get a little further into this. But I definately wouldn't want to buy something that requires special baking temperatures. I am a novice box kind of girl right now. I want to graduate to making some scratch cakes, but I think having to adjust the temp, and possibly the bake time, might be a little much for such a newbie! Thanks for your input!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:09am
post #17 of 22

I love my Magic line pans. However, do NOT put them in your dishwasher. I did that with one of mine and the finish turn a bit funky looking. It works fine but it doesn't look quite right. Also with the sharp corners on the square ones, a toothpick or skewer is required to clean them.

chutzpah Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:10am
post #18 of 22

I have one Fat Daddio. I find that it's always the last pan I reach for, and use it only when all other pans are already used.

Honestly, the only thing I like about my Fat Daddio is the name.

Flowernail Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flowernail Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 7:41am
post #19 of 22

fat daddio or any pan with out the rounded edges. You want a nice crisp edge on your cake so you have the cake support for the crisp edge of your icing. You can still round the icing for a softer look with the squared edge of the cakes too! I dont like the wilton pans. rounded edges, the sides are 90 degrees and the metal weight is much thinner and my wilton pan always goes darker than the daddio pans. good luck!

chutzpah Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:23am
post #20 of 22

Actually, a 90 degree angle is straight.

q2wheels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
q2wheels Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:02pm
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

... Also the bottom of the corners of FD pans are rounded.

As do the Wilton pro ones. Which have straight sides BTW (I just checked mine!). Does that mean that the Magic Line pans are true cylinders with sharp corners where the side meets the bottom?

All of my square (except the 4.5" which is Magic Line) and my sheet (9"x13" and 12"x18") are Wilton Decorator Preferred and the corners are perfectly square, including where the sides meet the bottom of the pan. My cakes come out great!

And for a hobbyist, the Wilton pans are within m budget.

HTH,

Toni Ann

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #22 of 22

I am strictly a hobbiest. While Magic line are expensive, they are also quality and, if cared for properly, will never have to be replaced. I have added to my collection slowly choosing only pans that I will use repeatedly. I currently own two 9 " inch rounds, two 6" rounds and two 8" squares. While I might add to my collection, I really don't have a need for more than what I have at present.

Also storage space would become an issue if I purchased larger pans which would not nest into the pans I already own. Besides there are also the other pans- tube, bundt, jelly roll, cheese cake, muffin, pie and loaf pans to store. And then there are the glass baking pans... oh yes, 3 sizes of granite roasters. No, I definitely don't need any more pans. (OK, maybe two 4" rounds, or two 6" squares, ....)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%