Coloring White Chocolate

Sugar Work By momdalejr Updated 13 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm by bekahzzz

momdalejr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momdalejr Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #1 of 8

Can you use the icing colors that you use for your icing to color white chocolate?

7 replies
cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #2 of 8

I use my airbrush colors all the time. they work good with a couple of drops when melted. icon_biggrin.gif

gateauxdamour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxdamour Posted 3 Mar 2009 , 2:16am
post #3 of 8

Avoid water-based colors. They will make the chocolate seize.

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:21pm
post #4 of 8

My local cake supply store says not to because the icing colors contain water and as stated above will seize the chocolate. They do carry colors that are not water based, but they are more expensive.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 11 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 8

Yes, you just need to buy a tube of americlor flow-coat...you add a couple of drops depending on how much melted chocolate you have, then you can use your regular americolor or wilton paste colors. I've done this for white chocolate chips as well as the candy melts. Bought mine at the cake supply store.

FlossieJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlossieJo Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #6 of 8

I have been wondering how well the flow coat works. I came across it by accident the other day. I have used the oil based candy color, but I have found that it goes rancid very quickly. I have also successfully mixed shortening and regular water based americolor colors then added that to white chocolate. I don't always have good luck with this method, though.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 10:54am
post #7 of 8

I've used it a few times for making molded candies and it works fine.

bekahzzz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bekahzzz Posted 13 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #8 of 8

No Water based colors will work, only oil based colors. Like said before it will cause the chocolate to seize. If you look on the ingredients, the first one is usually oil or water....steer clear from water

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%