Carrot Cake~ Icing Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 1:44am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 9

What are some other great alternatives to Cream cheese filling/icing for carrot cake?

What other fillings taste great with carrot cake? Can you pair buttercream with a carrot cake or is that just weird?

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

8 replies
KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:31pm
post #2 of 9

I think something light and not so sweet like a Bettercreme would be good. icon_biggrin.gif HTH, K'ly

kellertur Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

What, pray tell, is "bettercream"? I'm intrigued. icon_confused.gif

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 9

Bettercreme is a lighter, whipped BC sorta like Cool Whip. It smoothes like a dream, but does not crust.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 9

Bettercreme is a store-bought frosting, right? I think I've seen something similar at GFS Marketplace.

How about a cinnamon buttercream, or pumpkin spice? I can't do cream cheese and have been trying to figure out what goes good with carrot cake as well.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 9

Carrot cake with out cream cheese icing? Sacrilege!! icon_eek.gif

Okay, just kidding. icon_biggrin.gif

How about a honey-cinnamon IMBC? Sub 3/4 cup honey for 1 cup of the sugar and reduce the water in the syrup to 1 tablespoon. Be very careful when bringing the syrup up to temp, as honey burns easily, don't turn the heat up over med. It will take longer to get to temp, but it should get there eventually. If you have to turn it up beyond med, do so in very small increments and watch it closely! Flavor the buttercream with a few drops of cinnamon oil and omit the vanilla.

Disclaimer: the above recipe amounts are based on cooking theory only, I have not actually tried this yet. It *may* need some tinkering to be perfected, but the above should be very close. icon_smile.gif

kellertur Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you ~ icon_smile.gif and I didn't mention this next part, because of what usually happens when I do BUT~
~ besides having a non-hazardous foods license, I am vegan. I can do a mock cream cheese, but it has to be refrigerated so I can't sell it.
~ I don't eat or use honey. I'm not as limited as it sounds, but I am looking to use a buttercream, but wasn't sure which flavor would pair nicely with carrot. I've only found cream cheese filling recipes online, so I thought I'd check here.

I'm thinking ginger would be fantastic, but I'd never thought of cinnamon. I'll have to try that one.

What are your thoughts on maple? icon_confused.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #8 of 9

Well, I learned something new today! I didn't know vegans didn't eat honey!

I'm guessing your "buttercream" is not made with real butter?

Honestly, I'm not sure how maple would go with carrot cake. Would be divine on an apple pecan cake, though!

Also, I don't make the "buttercreams" that are powdered sugar + veg shortening. I do the IMBC. Honestly, I don't think that the other style of "buttercream" would be very good on a carrot cake.

I'm curious, what do you sub for eggs in your cake recipe? I've read before that 1/4 cup silken tofu can be subbed for each egg, but I've never tried it (never had a request for an egg-free cake).

Does this cake need to be decorated? If not, a simple glaze or even a dusting of ps would work fine. Carrot cake is so yummy, it almost doesn't need any frosting.

Not sure if your carrot cake has pineapple in it or not (mine does), but a pineapple filling would be yummy.

kellertur Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to look at the IMBC recipe and see if it could work... I haven't had a kitchen "mishap" yet this week, so I'm overdue... icon_rolleyes.gif

Honestly, recently I decided to just omit the eggs all together and not even replace them in cakes. My cakes now rise better and are just as moist, although I tend to put a bit more oil (just in case). Keeping in mind, I make sure there is baking powder and/or baking soda to react with vinegar. I gently fold in the vinegar LAST to maximize the leavening reaction. (something I had to learn the hard way).
I do however replace them in cookies, or the cookies will spread like mad!!! (I use Ener-G egg replacer.)

I've only baked cakes with tofu a few times, but it's supposed to work wonders, as well as soy yogurt. I'm not convinced it wouldn't need refrigerating, so I haven't tried using tofu in cakes... Many of my recipes call for tofu, but I switch it out most of the time... I'm stubborn and I guess I can't follow rules.... I'm a cake rebel icon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%