How Is This Rose Made????

Decorating By Iloveweddings Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm by alanahodgson

Iloveweddings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iloveweddings Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:06am
post #1 of 10

Hi. How is this rose made? any tutorials? Is it made with buttercream?
and what is the name of this rose? Thanks in advance.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1153905

9 replies
Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 8:50am
post #2 of 10

im not for sure... but it says they are made with RI...

I would make it on a flower nail. try it forst with a hersey kiss blob of RI. use a rose tip? and just spin the nail and build up the swirl.

if that doesn't work try it without the hersey kiss shaped base.

sorry I can't be more help, its just my guess.

alwayscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alwayscake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:45am
post #3 of 10

The name is ribbon roses.

I am not sure but usually it made from fondant. You should pm Alana, she would be able to help you.

redpanda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
redpanda Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:58am
post #4 of 10

I agree it looks like the petal tip, but I don't think there was any center "blob", like there is in a conventional rose.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:17am
post #5 of 10

from what i see i would say it is he little blosson flowers that are RI and that the roses are fondant or gumpaste ribbon roses, there are a few ways to do them, this way being the easiest litteraly roll up a strip of faondant, i double mine over and kink it so it goes fuller and thinner, but these ones are litterealy a strip rolled up, you could try BC and a petal tip with the thinest edge up on a nail but i don't think it will come out as effective?

LovetoShare Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovetoShare Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 10:39am
post #6 of 10

It says, "royal icing roses", but looks more like gum paste. I stared at it for awhile and have come up with two guesses:
1. Use the larger end of the rose tip; not the thinner end which is normally used for roses. Place a square of waxed paper on a nail (attach with a dab of frosting). I would start in the center and as the nail is turned just make a spiral for the rose as if you were losely winding a piece of ribbon.
2. Cut a strip of rolled-out, gum paste and fold in half. Then, just roll the gum paste as if you were making a rolled, ribbon rose and attach with water.

The "frosting" looks smooth like gum paste. If it is royal, I would say that the air bubbles were removed. Therefore, the royal was most likely made with meringue and stirred very well after the food coloring was added.

To me, it does not look like rolled fondant nor 1/2 and 1/2, but I could be wrong.

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 11:42am
post #7 of 10

These are meringue ribbon roses, but they seem to be made in the same way
http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/swiss-meringue-ribbon-roses

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:10pm
post #8 of 10

I'd say much easier to do w/b'cream OR fondant!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 10

Yes, they are ribbon roses and there was a tutorial or something, but I can't recall where I saw it. They are really easy. You start at the center with the tip against the rose nail and just keep the nail turning and bring the "ribbon" of icing out to the edge. I used RI to try it, but can't see why you couldn't use regular BC. I really want to try the MS baked meringues now. I think they wouldn't be so hard as RI is when they dry. They do have a subtle different look that I really like better than fondant ribbon roses.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 9:13pm
post #10 of 10

The tutorial showing the meringue roses is how I made them, just with royal instead. You use a flower nail and a petal tip, but rather than making petals, you just spin the nail and create a ribbon of icing. When you can't spin any further, wind the nail back the other way again and continue piping the ribbon until the rose is the size you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%