What Is The Best Thing To Use To Make A 3D Crown For A Cake?

Decorating By dbledet Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm by dbledet

dbledet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dbledet Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:06am
post #1 of 10

I have to make a cake for a friends baby shower. I am going to practice with fondant just for some cutout decorations on the cake. Her theme is "little prince" and has a crown on it. I was thinking about cutting the crown shape out of fondant then wrapping it around a small 6"cake to make it stand up. The top of the crown would not be supported though. I'm not sure if the fondant would sit up on its own. Then I was going to paint the accents on it. I'm not sure if this will work though. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

9 replies
mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 10

Just make sure that you make the crown to the size you want, and dry it. it should have a week to dry out. Then paint it, glue on it, what ever. Should be no problem!

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #3 of 10

I actually wrapped my crown around a cannister of oatmeal! That way it was tall enough to support the top of the crown. Without that, the tips of the crown would have drooped. I wrapped wax paper around it, then wrapped the cut fondant around that. That way it wouldn't stick to the oatmeal can. You can find just about anything in your pantry that would be the right width/height and work with it! Good luck!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:37am
post #4 of 10

You are really better off going with gum paste to make the crown. Fondant will sag as it dries as it takes quite some time to set up. There are also templates out here on cc where you can fashion one out of royal icing.

HTH

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:41am
post #5 of 10

dbledet: I just checked the home page. If you scroll down there is a tutorial on how to make a royal icing tiara... not sure if that's what you are needing. Also, here's a link to a cake with a crown I made recently. It is made of gum paste.
[url]
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1293258[/url]

And, welcome to CC!

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:47am
post #6 of 10

SugarShack has a great blog and had a tutorial on it for making a gumpaste crown.

http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2008/10/making-gumpaste-crown.html

Hope this helps!

dbledet Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:50am
post #7 of 10

Thanks so much for your help. I really have no idea how to work with gum paste though. Any quick suggestions that you have for me?

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:18am
post #8 of 10

If you don't want to work with gumpaste, fondant will work if you have enough time for it to dry. I didn't have any of the sagging/cracking issues that other people have talked about. Don't know if I just got lucky or what!

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #9 of 10

dbledet, you really shouldn't find gumpaste any harder to work with than fondant. Just keep it covered tightly so it doesn't dry out. Only keep out and exposed the piece that you are working on.

dbledet Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 6:27pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks so much for all of your help. The shower isn't til March 1st, so I have a little time to practice. Wish me luck!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%