My First Order

Decorating By MJ2008 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm by kakeladi

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:01pm
post #1 of 7

I got a call from a friend today. A friend of hers is getting married in early May and her cake person just flaked on her. She moved across the country so she doesn't have someone to make her cake. She wants cupcakes. My friend thinks the wedding is for 100 people or less. She's going to have the bride email me so I can talk to her and figure out what she needs.

The closest I've ever done to an order is my boyfriend's dad asking me to do the birthday cake for his wife (she has allergies and he knew I'd find a way to do it). Do I need to point out that I've only ever done this for family and friends and therefore I'm not legal?

What kinds of questions do I need to ask her? I know I need to ask how many people I need to serve? What else?

Should I give her a tasting so she can decide on flavors?

How many cupcakes do I need to do per person? If it were a party I would be doing 2 cupcakes per person. Should I do the same or do I just do one for a wedding?

Thanks for any help.

6 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 7

Since you are unlicensed, one concern to consider is that the venue where this bride's reception is being held may require proof of license/insurance from the person bringing in the cake/cupcakes.

That should be your first question to the bride. If the answer is yes they require a licensed baker, than you won't be able to fill the order.

I'd hate to see you do all the work and then find out you cannot deliver the cupcakes because of a license requirement.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 7

If she doesn't care about being non-licensed...You do need to do a tasting. I would limit what I offered though. Maybe 3 different cake flavors, 2 icing flavors, and 2 filling flavors.

But make sure you talk to her about the non-license because that is risky business!

carmenid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmenid Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 7

How many cupcakes do I need to do per person? If it were a party I would be doing 2 cupcakes per person. Should I do the same or do I just do one for a wedding?

I would like to have an answer for this question as well. I have been wanting to do a cupcake tower and often wonder what the portion for each person should be.

I am not licensed either, I am strictly a hobbyist. Good luck!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #5 of 7

You could always do the jumbo cupcakes if you think reg. size ones won't be big enough.

MJ2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJ2008 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:56am
post #6 of 7

I didn't even think about the location requiring a license. I don't think they would because it's apparently some woman's house who only rents out her grounds for weddings by word of mouth. She doesn't advertise and it's not very well known so I don't think she'd require it. I'll definitely ask though. Thank you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 7

It is up to the bride as to how many she wants/needs. She might want 2 per person but she has to pay for them.
Cuppies are no less than $2 each and can run as high as $7 depending on how you decorate/arrange them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%