I Know, I Know... But How Much Should I Charge?

Decorating By MacsMom Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm by MacsMom

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 9

A customer is having a tea party birthday for her daughter and is open to ideas.

Her first thought was to have me make 16 individual teapots for the girls, but I have other cakes due that weekend and was hoping to simplify.

So... I thought I'd say that I can do the teapots for $XX.- per teapot, or make a cake at $5 per serving hoping that she would choose the easier, less expensive option, but at least making it worth my time if she stuck with the teapots.

What would you charge? About the size of a giant cupcake, with the handle and spout and simple decor.

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 9

Each one a sculpture I mean that should easily be $20 each. The packaging & delivery are gonna be a factor.

You gotta make & attach a handle & spout for each. Make separate boards. Figure out how to transport without them rolling all over. Ice each one perfectly, make them into tea pots then decorate them.

$20 - $25

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 9

How about one big teapot and then tea cups for the 16 girls.

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 9

not sure what size you are making yours but i came across a teacup (coffee) cake on flickr. its from cupcake envy. they say it serves 1-2 people and are charging $40 each

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakeenvy/3259450014/

http://www.shop.cupcakeenvy.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=2

ETA: just reread your post and realized you said teapot NOT teacup icon_surprised.gif
LL

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 9

Oh yes I'm all over that. $40 is much much better. I stand corrected. Well the tea pot should be more--$45 with a handle and a spout.
Absolutely.

icon_biggrin.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

i second this idea....

but still teacups out of cupcakes are a PITA.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 9

So what happened with it MacsMom? Are you making the individual ones? Or a big one? Let us know.. =o)

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

I like this idea too.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 9

O.K., cool beans. Lordy, I was going to say $10 each but I'll say $20. I hadn't thought about packaging! (duh).

I am going to suggest a small teapot cake and individual cake "slices" which would at least be easier to cut and decorate. Do you think $10 for each slice is too little?

I'm in the middle of searching for more cake ideas to send her. Thanks for sending the coffe mug photo ZAFIA6!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%