Call Me Stupid....

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm by Rocketgirl899

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 5

But, I honestly don't know how to stack a two tiered buttercream cake. Well, at least I have not been successful at it.

Do you .....

A) Stack the crumb coated cakes and then ice them after constructed.

problem: never looks good b/c I can't get the top tier smooth w/o scratching into the bottom tier.

B) Stack the tiers after they are both iced.

problem: I always mess up the top layer if I pick it up with my hands, and frequently need to adjust it to be centered.

Help me please!!

4 replies
ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #2 of 5
sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 5

You stack after the cake is fully iced.

You should buy this DVD.. it's not very expensive and the tips you will learn will be well worth the cost. It's my Sharon Zambito.. aka sugarshack!

Here it is:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Successful_Stacking_DVD.html

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 5

Completely ice both tiers before stacking.

Make sure your dowels/support are in place in the bottom tier.

Make sure your top tier is on a cake board/separator plate.

One way to help make sure your top tier will be centered when you place it is to lightly press a different separator plate down into the icing in the center of the bottom tier, marking where your top tier will need to go.

When you place the top tier onto the bottom tier, make sure your fingers only touch the cake board/separator plate. Basically get the top tier centered over the bottom tier and as close to it as possible without your fingers touching either tier and then gently "drop" the top tier into place.

Once you've placed the top tier onto the bottom tier, do not move it around or adjust it.

When you pipe the bottom border around the top tier, it should cover up any accidental marks.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandrabill

You stack after the cake is fully iced.

You should buy this DVD.. it's not very expensive and the tips you will learn will be well worth the cost. It's my Sharon Zambito.. aka sugarshack!

Here it is:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/Successful_Stacking_DVD.html

i second this. you will improve SO much from it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%