Delivery Today, Should I Change This Decoration?

Decorating By Justbeck101 Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm by summernoelle

Justbeck101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Justbeck101 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 13

The lady ordered this cake and the original one had a silver rope. Well, I was decorating this at 3 am and I could not think of how to do the dang rope that she requested be on the cake. Well, I ended up with this and I hate it.
Should I remove it and do one in royal or butter cream and paint it gold? Or should I just leave it alone?
LL
LL

12 replies
Justbeck101 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone?
I was thinking I could put some cattle brands on the bottom tier?

Jeannie21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannie21 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 13

Actually I love it. your rope looks more real than the silver one. And maybe its just me but i wouldnt want to risk messing it up on such short notice either. The cattle brands would be cute if you have time...but it still doesnt need them.It looks great! Wonderful job!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 13

I'm confused, did she want a replica of the original cake, or did she have colour/icing changes requested? I don't think your cake is bad at all, but it's quite a bit different from the first cake (buttercream/fondant, blue/brown). What is your rope made of now, can't you just paint that?

rockysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockysmommy Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 13

I wouldn't change anything...GREAT JOB!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 13

I like it better in the natural color...but that's me..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Justbeck101 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #7 of 13

She just wanted something similar, and we decided on desert color for the bottom tier. She said she really liked the look of the silver rope and that if I could fit it in the design then she wanted it.
I just hate how it came out. Especially since it does not compare to the original!

The rope is made of gumpaste/Fondant it is done in gold luster dust. I was just worried about how it looks, the application of it.

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #8 of 13

I like it the way you did it. Considering the color she chose for the bottom tier, I don't think that siver would look as nice. Great job.

Justbeck101 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 13

Thanks Everryone!

Justbeck101 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:42pm
post #10 of 13

I went ahead and added the cattle brands and it look much better then.
Thanks for everyone's help!
I will post the pic when I get it. I forgot to take one after I added the details!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 1:12am
post #11 of 13

Maybe it is too late, but-
I would suggest piping the rope on the bottom tier like on the first cake, and then painting it silver. You can use silver highlighter and vodka...
The bottom tier looks a little empty-did you consider putting the pocket on there?

Otherwise I think you did a pretty good job. I hope she likes it!

Justbeck101 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 5:07am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Maybe it is too late, but-
I would suggest piping the rope on the bottom tier like on the first cake, and then painting it silver. You can use silver highlighter and vodka...
The bottom tier looks a little empty-did you consider putting the pocket on there?

Otherwise I think you did a pretty good job. I hope she likes it!

Thanks summernoelle, I delivered it this afternoon. I did end up putting some branding on it and that made all the difference. They loved it.
The reason I did the rope gold is because she wanted it in gold. But I should have piped the rope instead of using gumpaste. I was decorating in the middle of the night at 3am. I could not think of how to do that darn rope until morning after I had an hour of sleep. By then I did not want to redo it because all the gold luster dust would still be on the cake where the rope had been.

Anyway, glad to be done with it!
lol

I always thought your name was "summerdoodle" until I had to type it!

Thanks

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 3:28pm
post #13 of 13

I'm glad she liked it! That's always a great feeling. icon_smile.gif

No, Summer=my name. Noelle=born on Christmas morning. I have no idea why my parents would name Summer if I was born on a winter holiday. People just say it sets me up to have a quirky life, which is true. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%