Red Homemade Fondant????

Decorating By SweetPea0613 Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 7:07am by flowermom

SweetPea0613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #1 of 7

So I have an order for a few weeks for a coworker and she wants a red fondant cake with hot pink and black accents... She pretty much gave me free reign so I just have to think of a design..

My question is.....How can I get a RED RED fondant..

I don't have time to order colors online. I only have access to Michael's and all they have is Wilton colors. Any suggestions??????

6 replies
say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:43am
post #2 of 7

Adding the colour while your fondant is still runny (before adding powdered sugar) helps. Elmo (in my pics) was made like this with Wilton No Taste red. It took heaps of it to work but it got there in the end. The colour does deepen on resting too.

If you're making mmf you could use strawberry marshmallows to help it along icon_smile.gif

SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:52am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for the quick answer!! icon_biggrin.gif

So when you say heaps how many little jars should I use??? icon_lol.gif

I'm just so worried that it won't be red enough...I'll definitely be making it in advance just in case I mess it up

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:11am
post #4 of 7

Making red homemade fondant is very difficult!!! If you are able to make it as red as you need then you will also face the problem of it losing it's elasticity. Red and black homemade fondant always cracks up and won't stay together for me. If you have another kind of cake supply store where you can at least buy premade white fondant (besides Wilton-yuck) you will be able to color it and have it keep it's elasticity. Good luck.

say_it_with_cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
say_it_with_cake Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:35am
post #5 of 7

I used nearly two little jars - but that was for a whole batch of mmf (I now have plenty of red on-hand!). Just keep stirring it in till it looks nearly right (as mentioned it will deepen once you let the fondant rest). I did add a little more once the batch had rested just to deepen a little further.

By adding the colour while your mix is still liquid you can avoid the problem of the fondant losing elasticity / becoming too sticky / cracking up. The recipe I use is Rhonda's and I think the corn syrup helps it keep it's elasticity.

SweetPea0613 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 6:46am
post #6 of 7

Thanks guys! Hopefully everything goes okay with this fondant...

flowermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowermom Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 7:07am
post #7 of 7

I color my MMF with Americolor Red Red Paste. It gives it a nice deep red, you can add a tiny, tiny bit of red to deepen it more. I have not have much luck with Wilton reds.

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20123

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%