Scrape Off Border And Redo It Without Messing Up The Cake?

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm by IcedTea4Me2

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:31am
post #1 of 4

I hate the border I just put on my cake tonight. I was trying to do a string of dots for the border (like shells but with tip 7), but it just doesn't look good. I was wondering if I wait until tomorrow morning, if I could scrape it off and redo it. I think I'll just do individual dots this time. My thinking is that the buttercream would be hard in the morning and come off more easily than tonight. Has anyone else scraped off a border? (If it matters, the cake is white and the border is red.)

Thanks!

3 replies
j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #2 of 4

If you have a crusting bc, then it should be able to come off fairly soon. If you leave it too long, the red will bleed into the white. Either way, if you take it off now, there may be an area you will have to cover - you'll just have to make your new border a little bigger than the original. I remove borders and sections of borders all the time - but I use a crusting icing. That will make all the difference. Good luck.

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks for the reply! When I looked at it this morning, I decided it didn't look as bad as I thought, so I left it. I do use a crusting buttercream, so next time I'll know if i need to scrape it off. I'm putting a photo of it in my photos. Close up, it still isn't perfect, but my husband said it looks good. I'm just looking through my decorator eyes and I'm entirely to picky about my own cakes!!

IcedTea4Me2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedTea4Me2 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Quote:

When I looked at it this morning, I decided it didn't look as bad as I thought, so I left it.

Isn't it funny how that happens? It's almost like we've looked at it too long and need to come back with a new perspective. I've done that many, many times.

Quote:
Quote:

I'm just looking through my decorator eyes and I'm entirely to picky about my own cakes!!

I'm the same way. Just from reading this forum I get the impression that most, if not all, decorators are this way. At my last cake class my teacher helped me carry my tiered cake out to my car and I was fussing about this not being right and that not being right and she says, "Look how the people in the store are looking at your cake. All they see is a gorgeous cake. They don't see what you see." She was right. (I still see it, though!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%