How Do You Get A Super Moist Cake Without Spike It?help Plss

Decorating By mariarosa Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm by evasmama

mariarosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariarosa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:08pm
post #1 of 13

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif PLease I need help

12 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 13

'Splain "spike it"--what do you mean by that?

mariarosa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:34pm
post #3 of 13

I'm so sorry you don't say "spike"... when you pour the glaze made out of water, sugar and alcohol over the cake?? I feel sooooooooooo embarrased icon_redface.gif .I am spanish speaker and my neighbor told me once that I should say "spike the cake" not drunk cake, in spanish "emborrachar el cake". I guess that , this is the reason why nobody answered me aaaaaaaaaah, I want to hide myself.Thanks God is online, nobody see my face right now.
Thank you anyway for telling me at least icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif
mariarosa

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 13

Well, we do SPIKE our punch with alcohol, so you're on the right track anyway! Don't be embarrassed, it's an honest mistake!

I use the WASC recipe for every cake I do and they are ultra, ultra moist. Wet almost. I just change the flavor of the cake mix and extract to whatever flavor cake I want. I know lots of people use simple syrups (probably what you are talking about spiking the cake), but I've never tried that. I guess I should!

I think you can also just add a box of dry pudding mix to your cake batter and is supposed to make your cake more moist. HTH!

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 13

don't be embarrased, we all have our moments. what you mean is normally translated as "soaking" the cake with syrup. some people don't use alcohol in their syrup, just flavroing, therefore not everyone "emborracha" their cakes. In Puerto Rico, though, it is a given theat they are "spiked" icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariarosa

I'm so sorry you don't say "spike"... when you pour the glaze made out of water, sugar and alcohol over the cake?? I feel sooooooooooo embarrased icon_redface.gif .I am spanish speaker and my neighbor told me once that I should say "spike the cake" not drunk cake, in spanish "emborrachar el cake". I guess that , this is the reason why nobody answered me aaaaaaaaaah, I want to hide myself.Thanks God is online, nobody see my face right now.
Thank you anyway for telling me at least icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_cry.gificon_rolleyes.gif
mariarosa

Oh my, oh my, no no no--I kinda thought that's what you meant but spike to me means just the alcohol.

I think I say 'use a wash' or 'use a splash'. No no no there's nothing wrong with the term "spike".

I only asked so I would make a good answer.

So you gotta watch your baking time and get it exactly. Use sour cream or buttermilk to help enrich it. Even in a white cake use a couple egg yolks it won't turn it yellow.

That egg yolk thing is important.

You can use the splash (the sugar syrup) without the alcohol too. Use it plain or add vanilla or almond extract--any extract flavor or flavored oil.

(((hug)))

Some splashy thoughts for you. icon_biggrin.gif

mariarosa Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 13

Thank you so much for your help.I feel more relieved.In Spain we use rum and brandy so we "emborrachamos" el cake, so it's called "borracho" ,"drunk".... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
By the way , again a silly question what is WAS??
All of you are the best.Really, everything that I learned with fondant and cookies etc..etc..and other things.. as english I learned it from here.
I would love in some years be so helpful as you people have been with me. thumbs_up.gif
mariarosa

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 13

Yes, the WASC is very moist. Another thing I do when I want to add flavor as well as moistness is use flavored coffee creamer in place of about 1/3 of the water. If you use too much creamer the cake will be too heavy, and may be coarse.

l_m_mena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
l_m_mena Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #9 of 13

mariarosa, WASC is an accronym for White Almond Sour Cream Cake, and it is made using packaged box mixed (bought at the store) and adding a cuople of things (sour cream, flavors, flour, etc). You can find it in the recipe section. But if you are from Spain, you probably bake from scratch, right? Then, you would need a recipe that stays moist. I can't help you much there, since my recipe uses a syrup soak, but you will probably get a response from the CCers that will help you. Good Luck!

edited to correct WASC definition (originally defined WSC icon_redface.gif )

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:09pm
post #10 of 13

Mariarosa~

WASC is the White Almond Sour Cream cake recipe. It is delicious and you can change the cake and extract flavors easily. It is the best cake recipe I have found.

Here are link for the WASC recipe and the Chocolate WASC recipe

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7367-AMAZING-Chocolate-WASC-Cake.html

Also here is a list or cheat sheet of the abbreviations we use here on Cake Central and what they mean. This was a life saver for me!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:22pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:

mariarosa

You should hear my Spanish. I can ask you where the bathroom is. However, I won't know what the answer is because I can only ask you where it is.
I can say my name, and thank you and your welcome.
So your English is way better than my spanish.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 13

You can make a simple syrup without the alcohol. Simple syrup is really simple to make! It is just equal parts by weight of water and regualr white sugar. Stir them together in a pot and heat until boiling. At this point, all the sugar should be dissolved. Remove from the heat and let sit on the counter until cooled to room temperature. If you want to add flavoring without adding alcohol, you can add emulsions or extracts just after removing from the heat, but before it has cooled all the way. I hope that helps. icon_smile.gif

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:

Thank you so much for your help.I feel more relieved.In Spain we use rum and brandy so we "emborrachamos" el cake, so it's called "borracho" ,"drunk".... icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
By the way , again a silly question what is WAS??
All of you are the best.Really, everything that I learned with fondant and cookies etc..etc..and other things.. as english I learned it from here.
I would love in some years be so helpful as you people have been with me. thumbs_up.gif
mariarosa

Quiero abrazarle, Mariarosa! Que linda.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%