Fondant In A Ka? Help!

Decorating By wasabi106 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm by cakedoll

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #1 of 15

This question my have already been covered here att CC but can't find it...

I am starting my DD birthday cake today it will be covered with MMF. My question is I have made fondant before and I always knead it by hand. I got a new KA for christmas and have heard that you can make, or at least start your MMF in the KA. It seems like that would be easier and I would like to try it. Has anyone done this? How does it work? Tips would be awsome.

Also I think I am going to try the Chocolate WASC it sound great. I have always made a scratch poundcake when using MMF. I read that it held up best to MMF. Does the WASC hold up ok? It must because alot of you CC'ers seem to use it.

Thanks for any help!

14 replies
loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:19pm
post #2 of 15

I would never use any kind of fondant, MMF, etc in my KA. It is a gear driven system that will overheat on your. Maybe some have had luck, but I wouldn't chance it. Once those gears go, thats it.

DegaDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DegaDee Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 15

I use it from time to time for my MMF. Just make sure to grease the bowl and dough hook well and it's easier on the KA if you'll put it in there as soon as it comes out of the microwave after you've stirred it. It takes the PS better and mixes easier while it's still warm.

wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:23pm
post #4 of 15

Thank You!

I think I might just stickwith kneading it by hand, because I know it works. Not sure if I want to risk breaking my mixer.

cakedoll Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedoll Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 15

I have horrendous arthritis in my hands, so out of necessity I guess, I started making my fondant in the KA. I do knead by hand, the last cup or so of powdered sugar. I have had no problems at all with the KA or the fondant.

I have kneaded a lot of bread with the KA, so I figured the fondant couldn't be that much different and I was glad I tried it. It's also a tremendous time saver. I also mix the beginning stages of my gumpaste in the KA with no problems.

Hope this helps

wasabi106 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #6 of 15

Cakedoll- what setting do you mix it on? And do you use the dough hook the whole time? I read somewhere touse the paddle for the first few cups of PS and then to use the greased doug hhook for the the last few, and then as you said the last cup to mix by hand. Thanks for your help- I am nervousto try but I could see howit would be a big help.

cakedoll Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 15

I mix it on the lowest setting throughout the whole process, stopping to scrape sugar from the sides of the bowl.

I use the paddle in the beginning and then switch to the greased dough hook as it gets thicker. Then I knead the final amounts of powdered sugar by hand. If I didn't do it this way, (because of my arthritis and having to stop kneading constantly) I'd never be able to finish one batch of fondant in a decent amount of time, much less 2 or 3.

I make the gumpaste pretty much the same way except I don't use the dough hook. I just stick to the paddle.

Both gumpaste and fondant have always turned out nice; no lumps, and easily rolled out.

cakedoll Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:22pm
post #8 of 15

Duplicate post.

cakedoll Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 15

Sorry about that. Post entered 3 times icon_surprised.gif

wasabi106 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:38am
post #10 of 15

Thanks SO much! I went ahead and tried it in the mixer and it worked like a champ!!!! It was so much easier and a lot less mess. Thanks again cakedoll thumbs_up.gif

cakedoll Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 12:57am
post #11 of 15

You're very welcome. Glad I could help. icon_biggrin.gif

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 2:39am
post #12 of 15

I make my fondant in the bread machine.

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:29am
post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susans53

I make my fondant in the bread machine.

Really? Please could you provide some more information on this? Which setting do you use etc.

Susans53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susans53 Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 2:27am
post #14 of 15

I have to half a recipe as my bread machine only makes 2 lbs. I put the dry ingredients in first then add the metled shortening/geletin/ glucouse/etc mixture-set it on the dough setting and let the machine do all the work. I unplug when it gets to the rest cycle as the fondant does not have to rise. Oh, and I grease the bowl and the blade. I wish they made a bigger bread machine so I can make a larger batch-that is the only downside I have found so far. I tried this method after failing to knead with my hands. For some reason my fondant was just crumbling up on me and not coming together. Maybe cause I have the coldest hands-I don't know-but the bread machine works and I hope it works for you!

cakedoll Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 15

Oh wow, I'm going to have to try this. Thanks for the tip!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%