Any One Who Worked In Costco Bakery???????

Business By zubia Updated 8 Feb 2009 , 4:34am by zubia

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:33am
post #1 of 6

I have been doing cakes for a few years now ,I want to get bakery experience and decorate cakes on daily bases to get experience .I was thinking about getting a job in a cake shop but then my husband suggested costco. I read on line it has good reviews. If any one here works for them can you please tell me the how they work or is it better then any other bakery???
thank you
Zubia

5 replies
zubia Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 6

any one???

zubia Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 6

Iam giving it another bump,any one out there every worked in costco bakery??????

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 6

I have a fellow decorator friend who worked in a Costco bakery for years. She can pipe borders faster than anyone I've ever seen!
She had to decorate a certain number of cakes per hour so I guess you have to be pretty darn fast. I have no idea what she was paid.

I know they only have certain designs,not custom work so I suppose that would help increase speed but not a lot of creativity.

KimAZ

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 12:33am
post #5 of 6

I worked at a sams for a few years. It was not a bad job. Very fast paced. I was in a group of 5 decorators.

We put out about 200 orders per weekend + the cases + a huge display of about 200+ 10" decorated cakes to go. This was doubled for graduation weekend.

The only thing I can recall was that Sams.... and it may be different at Costco...... when you 39.8 hours was up you went home. Whatever decorator that was not up to her 39.8 hours had to stay and finish the 40+ orders on her own. MAYBE yoiu could get it ok"d for one more to stay with you if the order were more complicated. That's ok if you want the overtime. Fortunatly for me the others always wanted the OT because they needed the money more than me.

I am glad I am fast because I have no idea how anyone can STAND to work on a cake for HOURS on end!!! Some of them sure, but most are fast. thumbs_up.gif

Just don't fall for the "oh, you won't have to work every weekend and holiday" line. That's just not the way it really is.

Good luck.

zubia Posted 8 Feb 2009 , 4:34am
post #6 of 6

Thank you so much for the information.I actually want to get the feel of a bakery ,before I make the decision, to open up my own shop, out side of my home. I have no idea how a business runs.Just want to see how much work is involved in owning a full time job.I was thinking about working at a local cake shop but some how my husband thought it was better if I worked at Costco icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%