Smooth Ganache Fininsh

Decorating By kellertur Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 1:43am by dailey

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #1 of 23

How do I get an almost flawless, smooth ganache finish? I'm not sure how to correctly pour it on the cake. I tried, but it wasn't working well, so I stopped. Instead, I applied it like buttercream, but as it dries, it drags.

I attached a photo so you can see ~ This is only a dessert cake, so it's ok that it's not perfect, but I'd like to learn how to have a smooth finish.

thanks
LL

22 replies
kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:42am
post #2 of 23

anyone icon_sad.gif

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:54am
post #3 of 23

Don't feel bad, I had the same problem last night, I kept adding veg. oil to it, but still to thick and not smooth. Iam afraid to eat the cake, it might react like Exlax!. Ops! gotta run.....(he-he)

SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:56am
post #4 of 23

From what I gather, you coat the cake in some buttercream first to make the cake surface smooth. Then pour the ganache when its still pourable on the cake set over a cookie tray lined with a cooling rack. Hope this helps. I'll be trying this out myself next week!

kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:09am
post #5 of 23

Thank you. I'll try that. For some reason, working with melted chocolate was extemely messy and I had it everywhere. It was very discouraging.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:14am
post #6 of 23

Here is some instruction on poured chocolate ganache.

I frost the cake as usual with a crusting bc. It needs to be as smooth as if you are serving it that way. When the bc is smooth the poured ganache will be to.

Sarah Bernhardt Chocolate Glaze is the best (ganache)! Recipe on CC under recipes. I have done a dripped top with it and also completely covered a three tiered wedding cake recently with it. To completely cover just pour the chocolate begining in the center top of the cake and keep moving in a slow circular motion. Make sure the cake to be covered is set up on a cake pan that is smaller in circumferenc (sp?) and that it has parchment paper underneath it. If you do this you can achieve a perfectly smooth surface on the cake without ever having to touch it with a spatula. The choc. that spills onto the parchment can be scraped up and used for something else very easily. Just make sure you pour in a circular motion. Do not stop and try to go back and forth over a side. If the side isn't covered completely just keep pouring slowly in that circular motion until it is! Hope this makes sense. if you touch it with your fingers you could leave a finger print. It does set up nice in about 20-30 minutes but remember it is chocolate. Good luck!

Definately pour the ganache on one cake tier at a time (not stacked). After each cake tier is covered in ganache. If I need to dowel it I do now. (After it is set up). I use wooden dowels and cut to the right height. I stack at the reception center. It is hard to set each tier on top of the other without pulling some of the "set" ganache away. I would suggest to have some dark brown satin ribbon with you if you need to place it around the bottom of a tier to hide some imperfections that were caused by placing the tier.

Hope this helps.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #7 of 23

Here's a pic of my chocolate ganache wedding cake.
LL

kellertur Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #8 of 23

cocoabean~ that is beautiful!!! Thank you for the instructions AND for the photo.

I saw that "black hound" cakes photo banner and then looked at my photo and said to myself: "you need some help" icon_sad.gif

Thank you. icon_smile.gif

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:24pm
post #9 of 23

wow, that is beautiful!!! So in other words, make a lot of extra ganache to make up for all the extra falling off the sides, huh!! icon_razz.gif I need to try this now!!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #10 of 23

Cocobean...I looked at Sarah's recipe. She doesn't use any cream..??? How does that make hers different? I'm making some this weekend and so confused with all the recipes. Thanks. Deb

Sarsi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #11 of 23

I know that question wasn't directed at me, but I will give my thoughts on it as well!! icon_biggrin.gif

No, she doesn't use any cream. Sarah's recipe is very easy to use and I love the texture of it! I find that it doesn't set as firm as a normal ganache though, and it tastes a lot different. You can taste that it has a lot of butter in it!!

I personally love real ganache better, texture and flavor. But I know of a lot of people who love her recipe!! I still use it a lot! I normally have butter on hand but not whipping cream.... icon_biggrin.gif

ddaigle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #12 of 23

That was my next question....what is the difference between ganache and glaze? I see the are being used the same way...K2cakes...sorry to hijack your thread.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:42pm
post #13 of 23

if i'm not mistaken, there is a video on youtube where they spray the ganache with water and smoothed it perefectly?

Sarsi Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:49pm
post #14 of 23

Oh wierd!!! That seems really really strange!! What did they do with the water afterwards?? How did they get it off? What did they smooth it with...if you remember...

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:03pm
post #15 of 23

go to... sugaredproduction .com and go to blog. scroll down and there is a great example of a faux berge cake covered in ganache! Good luck

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 8:46pm
post #16 of 23

Ditto what Rocketgirl said: http://sugaredblog.blogspot.com/2009/01/new-orleans-doberge-cake.html

Sharon's ganached cake is amazing!

ddaigle Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 9:12pm
post #17 of 23

That is cool....i just went to a Doberge class. I can't wait to make one.

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:44pm
post #18 of 23

thanks flourpots!

sometimes I don't have time to link.... sometimes I am lazy.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:00am
post #19 of 23

You're welcome...I have Sharon's blog in my AOL "Favorite Places" so it's only one click away (as is CC come to think of it).

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #20 of 23

cocobean- that is flawless.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:32am
post #21 of 23

All I can say is Yummy...chocolate!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

kellertur Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:34am
post #22 of 23

Edna, I checked out your videos on Youtube. You are so helpful!
Thank you!!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 1:43am
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarsi

Oh wierd!!! That seems really really strange!! What did they do with the water afterwards?? How did they get it off? What did they smooth it with...if you remember...

sorry, i don't really remember much about it except they used a spray bottle on the cake and then smoothed with a spatula? i just made a mental note because i thought it was an interesting technique for ganache...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%