I Got A Date...

Decorating By jovigirl Updated 10 Feb 2009 , 1:37pm by jovigirl

jovigirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jovigirl Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 12:25am
post #1 of 12

I just got confirmation of my dd christening date which is March 8th, I have not prepared anything as of yet, so I'm hoping I could pick your brains ;o)
I would have liked to do a lemon cake with a raspberry filling, however I really want to do a white cake, any suggestions for a filling? Also anytime I make vanilla buttercream it doen't come out pure white I guess cause of the vanilla & butter, I tried the adding a dot of violet color & it does make it whiter however it looks like a dirty white... Any other good recipes out there, maybe even a whipped cream kind of recipe?
I'm soo excited & I'm hoping this all goes without any problems as we will be having a family get together here at the house after the ceremony...
Also any ideas for favors?

TIA
Mon

11 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 4:05am
post #2 of 12

Hi,
When you're beating your butter, try beating for a little longer than usual so that the butter becomes almost white. This will make the icing a little more white. As far as the vanilla, it's just the nature of the beast if you will. You could use imitation clear vanilla, but I think the flavor is off. I'd rather have a slight cream color icing and use the real vanilla.

For favors, you could make come iced cookies in the shape of a cross or christening outfit or baby bootie.

Congratulations!

s_barnes76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
s_barnes76 Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:40am
post #3 of 12

Try using liquid French Vanilla Coffeemate creamer instead of vanilla. I use it not only for the vanilla flavor, but also in place of some of my liquid. I wouldn't suggest using it in place of all the liquid, I found that to be too rich. It won't make it bright white because of the butter, but it is whiter than if you used vanilla.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 2:23pm
post #4 of 12

What about a white cake with a strawberry or white chocolate ganache filling?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 12

If you want to stick with the lemon/raspberry, you could do the white cake but torte it and put two layers of lemon curd and a layer of raspberry buttercream.

jovigirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 12

Thank you everyone for your tips ;o) I got my invites out yesterday, so I guess i gotta go with it now... icon_rolleyes.gif

I was thinking of doing a book cake, are they hard to ice? I think I will try the clear vanilla as I really want white frosting & use a lemon/raspberry filling...
As for favors not too sure what to do as I did the dress & cross cookies for my 2nd daughter christening 2 years ago, so I was hoping to do something different this time...

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:28pm
post #7 of 12

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but I add Americolor white food coloring to my icing and it comes out white as snow icon_wink.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 12

Another idea for favors is to print out a wallet sized pic of the baby and frame it. You could make your own frame or go to the Dollar store. One of my nieces did this and we loved it.

or............You could do chocolates shaped like baby stuff, or pops.

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 12

I add Wilton Icing Whitener to my buttercream recipes that contain butter. Works well.

jovigirl Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:30pm
post #10 of 12

Wow I never heard of white food coloring or should i say I never thought of it nor have I heard about icing whitener...

Would anyone know where to get either of the above, I live in canada so I'm not too sure where to look...

Thanks for the help! ;o)

phoufer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoufer Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 8:53pm
post #11 of 12

jovigirl
I live in Canada too. You can get the wilton icing whitener at Michaels

jovigirl Posted 10 Feb 2009 , 1:37pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoufer

jovigirl
I live in Canada too. You can get the wilton icing whitener at Michaels

Thank you!

I found the white food coloring at goldas kitchen if anyone was wondering ;o)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%