Fondant And Gumpaste Users--Help!

Decorating By makeminepink Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 11:17am by bashini

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #1 of 3

I'm planning on doing a small white cake covered in chocolate fondant-- the kind with melted chocolate chips. Can I ice the cake in regular buttercream or do I need to make chocolate buttercream to go underneath? I want to make a bow and dots for the cake and cupcakes. Do I need to make them out of fondant or gumpaste? Will fondant have time to dry by Saturday noon? I have Wilton gumpaste mix. Should I mix some gumpaste powder into the fondant? I don't have a resource for the ingredient to make the fondant stiffer that quickly. Also the gumpaste is edible?? Thanks for all your help!

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:06am
post #2 of 3

what kind of bc you use is up to you, its just another flavour combination. since its a plain sponge, id maybe go for chocolate, so people who maybe dont like the fondant still get something chocolatey!
doing your bows with gumpaste means they will dry faster, fondant takes a while longer. i dont know for sure, but i wouldnt b confident it would be dry by saturday. i think with the wilton mix, to add it to fondant, you make up the mix first so you have the gumpaste, then add it to the fondant. a mix will dry faster than fondant alone, but gives you a bit more time to work with it. and it is edible too! (some people dont like the taste, but i do, in small sizes anyway!).
xx

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 11:17am
post #3 of 3

HI, you can use regular buttercream to go under chocolate fondant. I would do the dots from fondant. As you don't have CMC/tylose powder, first you have to make the gumpaste from wilton gumpaste powder. Then mix 50/50 of that gumpste and fondant. Then use that to make your bow. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%