How Do I Achieve The Basket Color?

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 9:49am by cakebaker1978

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #1 of 10

Hi CC!

I am starting to color my fondant for a cake I am doing. Most of the ckae is a basket. I will include a picture of the color I am trying to achieve. I have the wilton gel colors. What would you start with to get this color....I am so back and forth about what I should use. A copper, a brown, a yellow, I just don't know. This is stumping me! lol Any help????????? icon_smile.gif
LL

9 replies
Wildkatzcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildkatzcakes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 10

I would try a small amount of brown and to yellow it up like the basket just a touch of lemon yellow. Kipper is more of the copper color.

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 10

Try the Americolor warm gold color with a hint of brown. That may get you the color your looking form.

cakebaker1978 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 10

I only have access to the wilton colors. I have copper which looks like a gold color. Would that work? With a hint of brown?

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:10pm
post #5 of 10

You might try the golden yellow instead of copper. I've always see the copper as being kind of orange.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 10

Wilton's copper is quite orange. Do you have any of their ivory? I'd use ivory first as the base color then some brown. What you might do is go with mostly the lighter color then hit the weave with some of the brown to give it depth.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 10

I would start out with a small dab of frosting, to which I would add just a small touch of golden yellow, a drop of brown, not what you want, add another drop of brown, yellow takes very little gel, so be careful with that, you can experiment with adding colors.

It is sort of a light tan which I have found hard to make.

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:26pm
post #8 of 10

I too use Wilton colors exclusively (they are the only colors easily available to me) I would begin with a bit of brown and warm it up some with the buttercup yellow. It isn't a bright but a bit of a muted yellow, helps keep the color "dirty" instead of too bright. if needed you can add a touch of red too, but I would color very slowly...remember, you can always add, but you can't take away.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 10:30pm
post #9 of 10

I agree with Win on using the Wilton Ivory. If you use it in larger amounts it is more beige. I used only ivory in the 2 Thanksgiving cakes in my photos, and also the sides of the wine crate but that I marbled in some brown for wood-grain. Take a look, they're very similar in color to the basket. HTH!

cakebaker1978 Posted 9 Feb 2009 , 9:49am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all your help girls! The color turned out pretty good!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif The cake turned out pretty good too!! Thanks again!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%