Stucco Finish, Help

Decorating By pat90807 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm by pat90807

pat90807 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat90807 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, I'm still taking classes and the instructor wants us to bring a cake to class with a stucco finish, Can someone tell me what that is

Thank you

4 replies
ruthi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ruthi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 5

Haven't done it myself, but I pretty sure it is the same as in real painting of a stucco finish, only done with icing that has been thinned a bit and sponged onto a covered cake surface to get a rough layer - like stucco. I've seen it illustrated in cake method books.

cheesecakes-galore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheesecakes-galore Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, I have done 4 cakes like that myself. The first was with fondant, then you take a sponge and dab the icing onto the fondant to make the rough look. The others were all buttercream. That is a bit trickier, since it is easy to pull the icing away, but you don't have to smooth the icing that is the beauty of it. Anyways, once you get started, it really is pretty simple. The way I did the buttercream ones were after the cake is iced, just start dabbing away. You need to keep a bowl of the buttercream nearby since you will need some extra icing on the sponge at times. Hope that all made sense.

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 5

Here's a few cake pics from here on CC:

ALso link to Wilton cake with stucco finish directios. Appears to be thinned royal icing, dabbed on cake with wax paper.

Hope this helps!! Good luck!!

pat90807 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pat90807 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks Everyone, you guys are great

Quote by @%username% on %date%