Renting Kitchen Space In Atlanta - Problem!

Business By Kpow Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 3:33am by Santa_Kitchen

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:18pm
post #1 of 14

I am hoping to start a small cupcake business soon, but will need to rent kitchen space until I can save enough money to build out my basement for a commercial kitchen. I contacted the Dept. of Agriculture today to ask what types of places were NOT allowed for me to rent from and was told that almost everything was NOT allowed, including restaurant kitchens! No church kitchens, no firehouse kitchens, no restaurants...what else is there??? I wrote back and asked that question, but have yet to receive a response. Is there anyone out there in the Atlanta area that has run up against this? And what did you do?

13 replies
Kpow Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 14

Gah! He just wrote me back and said that I'd need to find a shared kitchen to rent, but the only ones he knew of were in other counties, nowhere near me!

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 14

What is a shared kitchen?

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 14

A friend of my mothers was in your same situation. She made a deal with a recreation center for the elderly to use their kitchen. Since she was not allowed by law to periodically rent the space, she agreed to do the deserts for the special functions for compensation. I don't know what a shared kitchen is, but maybe this might qualify? Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #5 of 14

I've never heard of a shared kitchen either. What exactly is it?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:41am
post #6 of 14

Just guessing .... but is it one of those places set up like a home ec room, with 5-10 little kitchens and you rent your own "kitchen" ... much like hair stylists rent a booth space in a salon?

I've no idea ... just taking a wild guess. icon_redface.gif

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:54am
post #7 of 14

Debi, I think you are right - I just googled "shared kitchen" and this is what I found. its not in Georgia, but I think this is the idea....

http://www.chefssharedkitchen.com/index.asp

iletmn0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iletmn0 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #8 of 14

Due to recent changes in the law Georgia no two food related businesses can get a license for the same address (same kitchen). Only 1 license allow for each kitchen. The only way it is allowed there has to be separate kitchens with separate entrances etc...

Also, Every food business is required to have either a 100lb grease trap indoors or 3200lb grease trap outdoors.

Kpow Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 14

Looks like my only option now is winning the lottery.

icon_cry.gif

janelwaters Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #10 of 14

That just really sux!!! I'm so sorry that they changed this law.

I know how you feel though - I keep thinking if I just had a lottery ticket.........

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:12pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelwaters

Debi, I think you are right - I just googled "shared kitchen" and this is what I found. its not in Georgia, but I think this is the idea....

http://www.chefssharedkitchen.com/index.asp

Oh my what a brilliant concept! Wish I had a couple of mil to build one in my area! If we can't get the Texas Cottage food law passed something like this could be a lifesaver for some and a great way to make money on the part of the kitchen owner! Wow.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 5:21pm
post #12 of 14

Sorry to hear that for you! Keep your eyes open for sales and ebay is your friend on restaurant equipment. That way you can slowly purchase your equipment then when you are ready to renovate your basement, you are a few steps ahead of the game.

I just thought of what would make a shared kitchen even cooler! Have a few small consultation areas available so they would also have a location other than their home to do consultations/tastings. Have different packages of either paying by the hour, buying blocks of time, walk-in rates higher per hour than a purchased appointment block, weekly rates, monthly rates...Okay I am putting a biz plan together and gonna bite the bullet one more time and approach that rich uncle of mine (yes I really do have one of those, he owns all the Houston Garden Centers). I'll probably get the same answer I have always received from him - no response at all...LOL!

janelwaters Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 7:17pm
post #13 of 14

I have wanted to put together something like this in Florida b/c we have the same strick no baking at home laws - however, we can rent space and share space (unlike GA). I wanted to put in storage closet areas to rent as well so that the bakers/caterers could keep their tools and supplies in the space without having to worry about it - etc, possibly even put fridge/freezers in the closets too..... pay extra rent for the closet etc.

I think this is a gold mine!!! where did I leave that lotto ticket??!?!?! thumbs_up.gif

Santa_Kitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Santa_Kitchen Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #14 of 14

Be careful what people tell you, that wasI though in the beginning, that GA do not allow any kind of home base kitchen...but each county have their own interpretation and also the zoning areas is an issue. I will go ahead, a check twice, because I know there are lots of cake decorator with home base kitchen, completely legal. I know there is a veryyyyyy well known cake decorator that makes beautifull cakes, and she have excellents reviews and she runs a totally License Commercial Kitchen from her home and she is located in Cobb Co.
http://www.sweetcarolinescakes.com/contact.html
Go ahead, I think you can, anyways I strongly believe that is plenty of space for each of us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%