What To Cover Cake Board With?

Decorating By Oliviasmom08 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm by ncbert

Oliviasmom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oliviasmom08 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 8

I plan to buy some sturdy boards at Michaels today, but they aren't "pretty". What are some creative ways to cover the board (but not in fondant) that won't stain or cut when the cake is cut? I'm not crazy about using foil, so was looking for some other suggestions. Thank you!

Karen

7 replies
cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 8

I use wrapping paper or scrap booking paper or anything I find at Micheals that matches the cake I am doing. Once I have that, I find ribbon that matches the thickness of the board and the cake/wrapping paper and glue the ribbon around the board. So, first, I lay my cakeboard I will be using on the wrapping paper(or whatever you chose) and draw around it to get the exact size of the board. The I glue that down on the cake board. Then I cover that with celefain or any clear plastic wrap you can find big enough to reach around to the underside of the board. Then I tape that down stretching it for a smooth cover. After that is all done, I glue the ribbon around the outside. One of my favorite parts is decorating the cake board! lol. I think it really adds to the whole look of the cake. I hope I explained that ok. The plastic I use if the kind you would use to cover a gift basket in. I cut it out so there is plenty of trim to tape to the underside. I tape one end and then stretch it out and tape the opposite end and then start at the other side, tape it and stretch and tape at the opposite end etc. Do this until all ends are taped down. If you use clear tape it makes for a tidy finish. (no one really sees the underside anyways! lol.)

Oliviasmom08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Oliviasmom08 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:55pm
post #3 of 8

Thank you SO much! That makes perfect sense and was exactly what I was looking for! Thanks again!!!

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:11am
post #4 of 8

To get a "perfect" finish cover the decorated board w/ clear contact paper (shelf paper) u can find this at walmart etc.... It works like a charm and is flawless! thumbs_up.gif

CookiezNCupcakez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookiezNCupcakez Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 6:15am
post #5 of 8

I forgot to say that I also wrap the cake board like a present w/ the wrapping paper etc.... tape it down to the bottom of the board. Us ethe same method to apply the contact paper.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:47pm
post #6 of 8

I use freezer paper. It has a shiny side and a matte side. Use the shiny side up. It is sold in the grocery store along with the foil and plastic wrap.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 8

I usually either use fondant or foil-based wrapping paper (so there aren't any grease stains), and ribbon around the base.

I know you said you didn't want to use fondant, but to me it's sometimes easier. No taping required and the ribbon wrapped around the board cover any booboos.

ncbert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncbert Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 8

I too use freezer paper!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%