What Am I Doing Wrong? Please Help

Decorating By preciosa225 Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 6:43am by preciosa225

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #1 of 13

I used a variation of the WASC recipe and it sunk in the middle. I've tried it more than once and it keeps sinking however, when I do the regular WASC recipe it bakes perfectly fine. I am using bake even strips and flower nails in my pans and baking at 325 degrees but as soon as the batter starts to cook, it sinks in the middle. Here are the ingredients I used:

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 2/3 cups french vanilla creamer
1 cup water
6 whole eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups sour cream
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsps oil

Please help! I need to bake this cake tonight and they just want a VANILLA cake.

Thanks in advance,
Cari

12 replies
luv2cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 13

This happens to me too! I wish i knew how to help.

rwarren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rwarren Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:38am
post #3 of 13

what size pan(s) do you use for this recipe?

preciosa225 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:39am
post #4 of 13

The first time I used a 6x2" square and an 8x2" square. This time I used 6x2" round and 8x2" round.

preciosa225 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:45am
post #5 of 13

Can it be the creamer? Or the whole eggs? These are the only two things that I find different from the regular wasc recipe I use (oh and the 1 1/2 cups sugar instead of the 2 cups sugar).

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:58am
post #6 of 13

Sorry, I don't know why it is sinking. I can say that I use 6 whole eggs and haven't had an issue. I do use 2 cups of sugar. I've never used creamer so not sure if that could change things, but I do think I've seen threads recommending creamer, so I wouldn't expect that to make it sink. Hopefully someone who understands baking chemistry will answer this for you, I'm curious.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:58am
post #7 of 13

This is the WASC recipe I use and it bakes up nice every time. It shouldn't be sinking with the bake even strips and the flower nail in the middle. YOu have done all you can!!! lol. I hope the next one works out perfectly for you! Good luck! You can split this recipe in half easily if you need to!Also, I use vanilla extract instead of almond.(not a fan)I also use 6 whole eggs instead of 8 whites.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake-WASC.html

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #8 of 13

Another thought... if you open the oven to early or often during baking, it can cause the cake to sink.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:01am
post #9 of 13

Yes, it's the creamer... Substituting a small portion of water w/creamer is okay, but you replaced more than half!

Also, I'm not sure that the sugar/corn syrup in the creamer was the equivalent of the 1/2 cup of white sugar that you eliminated.

You can make a lovely French Vanilla cake (altering basic WASC recipe slightly) using 6 whole eggs, 2 cups of sugar, water and additional vanilla (to replace almond). This variation will not sink. icon_smile.gif

Scratch cake recipes that use coffee creamer:
(Liquid non-dairy creamer.)

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-159851-.html

Coffee creamer cakes that didn't turn out so well:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-293673-.html

HTH

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #10 of 13

Jan is correct here. It is the creamer to water ratio and she has summed it all up for you.
Sometimes you can get to much of a good thing.

Another thing you can do to make this vanilla is to use the French Vanilla cake mix instead of the white....use whole eggs and Keep everything else the same. It is delicious and never fails to bake perfectly.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:12am
post #11 of 13

I agree the creamer would likely make the cake sink. Not all liquids bake the same. For an awesome vanilla cake, try Serious_Cake's yellow cake recipe from her youtube video. It's a nice white color, so I call it vanilla cake icon_smile.gif

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:13am
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCmomof3boys

Another thought... if you open the oven to early or often during baking, it can cause the cake to sink.

Yes, I agree. This can be a major problem. Do not open the oven until your timer goes off. If you are concerned it will over-cook, you can check it 5 minutes earlier, but it still may sink.

preciosa225 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:43am
post #13 of 13

Thank you all! This is wonderful and the very reason I love all of my pals on cc! LOL I'm happy to say that I am learning a lot from all of you because I was almost certain that it was the creamer as well because I figured it was too much creamer not enough water (unfortunately, it didn't hit me until AFTER I'd done it already --A few times at that... icon_redface.gif ) Slowly but surely, I will get it...LOL

Thanks again all!

Cari

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%