Frosting On Angel Food Cake???

Decorating By volleyball47 Updated 16 Feb 2009 , 1:09pm by LittleLinda

volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 9

for my moms birthday I want to make one of those spaghetti cakes because spaghetti is her favorite food. Problem is that she wants angel food cake, so I am wondering if buttercream or any type of frosting tastes good on angel food cake? thanks a lot!

8 replies
volleyball47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
volleyball47 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:32am
post #2 of 9

anyone?

spencersmom98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
spencersmom98 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:42am
post #3 of 9

I've used whipped cream icing on an angel food cake before. I don't know how well it would do for a spaghetti cake, though. It's pretty light, and melts pretty easily. I had to be sure to work fast and keep the cake in the fridge when I needed a break.
LL

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #4 of 9

I have tried it, and personally do not like icing on angelfood cake. Although I made a white cake the other week and my mom commented that it tasted like an engelfood cake. Sorry, I can't be of help!

bartar01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bartar01 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 9

Check out the Stabilized Whipped Cream Icing in the recipes section. It would probably decorate better than just plain whipped cream or cool whip.

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #6 of 9

Never had angel food cake with anything but whipped cream and strawberries but if you are going to use forsting I would probably go with a light bc like swiss stuff, because angel food is on the sweeter side. Just my suggestion.

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:02am
post #7 of 9

It was pretty common for us to put buttercream on an Angel Food Cake when I was growing up.It's a personal preference ,I think. The same was for my husband's family as well and we came from two different states. Any chance you could make a test cake a try a few different frostings on different pieces of cake?

wasabi106 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wasabi106 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #8 of 9

As a child my mom would make angel food cake in a bundt pan and pour chocolate ganache over it- so yummy!!!! I don't know how that would work for a spagheti cake. Maybe some kind of white chocolate icing? Good luck I hope it turns out!

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Feb 2009 , 1:09pm
post #9 of 9

If there is no way out; make a spaghetti cake for her to ohh and ahh about and blow out the candles .... have an angel food cake on the side for serving time ... let your guests eat either cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%