I Think I Can Write About It Now....

Decorating By SeriousCakes Updated 8 Mar 2009 , 4:54am by jules96

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:08am
post #1 of 22

Granted, it was back in July so I don't feel quite as bad, that is until I got a Thank You note today. I took an order from someone I used to be friends with. It was for her boyfriends bday and from the get-go I had a bad feeling about it. I had 3 orders already over the course of the week so by the time I got to this one I was kind of zoning...hence the bad decisions that followed.
Anyone who's made the Hershey's chocolate cake (from the cocoa can) knows how moist it is and that it should NEVER be carved. I kind of carved it to make a 4 layer high cake to look like a house on fire. I was also making a firetruck but wasn't paying attention when I made my frosting and it turned out too thin.
Before this turns into a saga let me say that my firetruck looked sad, like maybe it's about to cry. And my burning house started leaning before I even put the regular coat of frosting on. When I got up in the morning the whole backside of the cake had fallen off. I was able to save it, it looked like that was supposed to happen.
I heard nothing but good about it, tasted great, bday boy was happy, etc. Today I got the Thank You card that included pics. My poor firetruck completely slumped, it looked like it had flat tires from the way the frosting sagged!
I learned so much from making this cake order, the number one thing being that if it doesn't feel right, don't do it!!!
LL
LL
LL

21 replies
Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:16am
post #2 of 22

They really dont look that bad honestly. I can see what you are talking about the frosting sagging but its not that bad. Trust me I would tell you. You did a good job and at least it tasted great.

karema

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:19am
post #3 of 22

I'm still too embarrassed to put my TWO! "cakewrecks" on here.....

considering your situation, you recovered nicely. icon_biggrin.gif

shannon0407 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon0407 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #4 of 22

Well it's not the best cake you've posted but I think it is cute! As someone who is still inexperienced with cakes I would love to have gotten this. The important thing is that you learned something and didn't just say "oh well". Cheer up. icon_razz.gif Learning is growing and you probably wont make a cake under those conditions again.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:24am
post #5 of 22

I think we all have some of these! We take on more than we should cause we need the money and the business right? Then we become overwhelmed and everything goes to hell in a handbasket....oh well! Live and learn. And it doesn't look that bad! Chin up!

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:27am
post #6 of 22

I don't think they're bad at all. And actually, they both look like they would taste good!

SeriousCakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #7 of 22

Thank you everyone!! I knew you guys would understand icon_biggrin.gif Her card went on and on saying how wonderful it was and that everyone loved it so it made me feel better but man, you should see the pics from the party! Her dad picked it up and I'm wondering if he left it in his truck (again, it was July), I mean, serious meltdown on that firetruck!
But yes, live and learn, at least it was edible, hide the evidence!!!

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 22

lol @ "at least it was edible, hide the evidence!!!"

pianocat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pianocat Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:47pm
post #9 of 22

You're seeing this through the eyes of someone experienced in 'caking'. You see the imperfections in your baking-as we all do. We expect all of our cakes to be perfect! They rarely are completely perfect. Part of being a good decorator IMO is to be able to cover our mistakes well. The average person however, sees only the overall picture-the big picture if you will- and they see an awesome cake! So don't be so hard on yourself. If they were happy that's all that matters.

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:50pm
post #10 of 22

we have all those kind of cake days!! it didn't look bad and at least they didn't complain and thanked you after ward.

here is my cake *wreck* which I dont think is that bad to call me up cursing but i guess they watch too much ace of cakes.
she designed it, dh delivered it calls me tells me she wasn't there but dad was, he loved it. great! she calls ten min later the cake is falling apart!!! iasked what specifically..she meant the box lids. they were not perfectly aligned at the corners (first time doing them) cant wait to get sharon's video.

I even added the spotlights as an extra no charge.

anyhoo, he goes back and just refunds them the money let's them keep the cake. i knew from the minute they walked through the door it was going to be trouble! but i didn't take the order someone else did.
LL

sahrow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sahrow Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #11 of 22

You did a great job working with the "problem". It looks great to me! Yea... I see sagging icing, but I know how hard it can be to get that stuff to stick. I'd have loved it.

SeriousCakes Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #12 of 22

Thank you guys again, lol, I'm glad we got the Disasters gallery up, now the pics have a happy home icon_lol.gif
onceuponacake-I'm a doofus, I just watched your video on youtube, I never made the connection until today that you are 'fairytalecakes'! Duh! I recognized the pic you posted icon_biggrin.gif

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:53am
post #13 of 22

I don't think it is that bad. I do see the "sadness" in the fire truck and think it would be adorable with eyes in the front window and a pained expression on his face, but that may be thanks to the seed planted by the description.

SeriousCakes Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 4:07am
post #14 of 22

icon_lol.gif Gotta laugh at this one, I got a call today from someone asking me to make another firetruck...from a co-worker of the person I made the last one for...who knows what a fiasco the last one was....I gulped a few times and said Sure! She said it didn't need to be a firetruck cake, I could make the truck out of something else and just stick it on top. But I think I can do it this time. Looking back at the pics and remembering how I did everything has helped me pinpoint the mistakes. icon_lol.gif Wish me luck, it's next week!!!

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 14 Feb 2009 , 5:05am
post #15 of 22

So here's a question...who sends a thank you note 7 months later? Seriously!

I liked your house, bummer it slid...that is always a pain. I love when people never notice the things i do....

Good luck with the next one.

Julia

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 22

Your fire truck is cute and I don't think it looks bad at all..and for the house; It actually looks like the flames are burning the house down, lol like you did it on purpose.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 15 Feb 2009 , 12:08pm
post #17 of 22

Your fire truck is cute and I don't think it looks bad at all..and for the house; It actually looks like the flames are burning the house down, lol like you did it on purpose.

SeriousCakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:30am
post #18 of 22
Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 1:51am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

And here it is!
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1322701

SO glad this turned out icon_smile.gif

Wow...the firetruck turned out great! I wish I could decorate cakes as well as you! thumbs_up.gif

SeriousCakes Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:03am
post #20 of 22

But you make the coolest stuff!! I love your cuppies!! Very very nice thumbs_up.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 28 Feb 2009 , 3:13am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

But you make the coolest stuff!! I love your cuppies!! Very very nice thumbs_up.gif

Thanks so much! I just started decorating cakes this past summer, took the Wilton courses. I wanted to learn so I could make and decorate cakes for my family.

jules96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules96 Posted 8 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #22 of 22

I love it, just added it to my favs. great job

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%