Painting Chocolate

Decorating By kdaze Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm by kdaze

kdaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdaze Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 5

I am thinking about making my husband a "tool" cake for his birthday. You know those chocolate tool kits you can buy.... do you know if they can be painted to look real? If so what would you recomend painting them with? TIA

4 replies
kdaze Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:48pm
post #2 of 5

anyone?

chilz822 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chilz822 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:02pm
post #3 of 5

I asked this question recently also and the answer was a pretty overwhelming 'no'. They suggested more to use pre-colored chocolate if you're molding or brushing with a luster dust (which really won't add 'color', just effect.

Took the wind right out of my sails!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:20pm
post #4 of 5

I suggest tinted cocoa butter. You can either tint it yourself (using either powdered or oil-based food colors) or buy it pre-tinted (I suggest chefrubber.com for this--this is what I use, primarily). They come in a HUGE range of colors and are lovely to work with. All you do is place the bottles in a tray of warm water to get them flowing, give them a good shake, squirt out what you need, and then paint away (I like to keep my palette on top of a heating pad to keep the colors from re-solidifying while I work).

kdaze Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info. Might be more than I have time for this week. I might just have to make them out of fondant. Are there molds you can pick up fpr the tools?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%