Beginner Needs Help Asap

Baking By poohthebear Updated 6 Feb 2009 , 6:50am by MadCatCookies

poohthebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohthebear Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 14

Hi I am new to CC, and have been enjoying everything here! All of a sudden I have been overwhelmed with cookie orders for V-day. To tell the truth my cookies look like a two year old did them compared to what I have seen. Can someone share how you get the cookies to look so perfect? I have been using Wilton's cookie recipe and outlining with Royal icing and filling in with icing made with corn syrup. I just don't like the flavor of royal icing. When my cookies come out of the oven they are lumpy on the top so I have started decorating on the back. So please can someone help me? I have orders for about 14 dozen hearts all due next week.

13 replies
TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:14pm
post #2 of 14

Hi - I expect Honeydukes will jump on this soon if she see it as she is wealth of knowledge and help. In the interim, I would recommend the NFSC recipe and I use Antonia74's RI which I give full credit as to why mine are smooth. As for flavor, Antonia74's meringue powder has vanilla flavoring already in it and I can't get the type of MP that she uses, I add 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract at the end. (You could also do pure almond extract). As you are not a big fan of RI, there are other recipes others use and Honeydukes will have the info.
Congrats on your orders! icon_biggrin.gif

bakinccc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakinccc Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 14

I'm curious as to why your cookies come out of the oven all lumpy. Are they rolled out cookies that look smooth when you put them in? I've had the occasional bubble in my cookies and I think it's happens when I knead the cookie dough too deeply with my fingers and that creates little air pockets in the dough. So be careful you're not kneading too agressively that incorporates the air bubbles. Hope that helps a little!!

TracyLH Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 14

I forgot to say that occasionally I get bubbles and I pull the rack out and tap them with my finger and they disappear. I have seen where others use a spatula to do it.

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:40pm
post #5 of 14

Like the other two ladies, I too use Antonia74 RI. I add 2 TBSP clear vanilla. My family and I like the taste of it better that way. I sometimes get air bubbles also but will just tap them like stated before and they go away. I don't really know why yours would be so lumpy. Are you using the NFSC recipe. It is the one I always use and have never had any trouble with it.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:21pm
post #6 of 14

Hi! I use the Betty Crocker sugar cookie recipe which tastes amazing, but I have had nothing but trouble with it. I get big bubbles, the cookies spread, this last batch was all lumpy like you described which makes it impossible to decorate with RI, only buttercream. However, I mix my dough by hand which I realize is probably the problem. I think the butter makes air bubbles which explains the big ones, but I don't know about the lumpiness. I tried the NFSC once and thought it was too hard but I may give it another shot. Good luck to you!

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 8:24pm
post #7 of 14

Hi! I use the Betty Crocker sugar cookie recipe which tastes amazing, but I have had nothing but trouble with it. I get big bubbles, the cookies spread, this last batch was all lumpy like you described which makes it impossible to decorate with RI, only buttercream. However, I mix my dough by hand which I realize is probably the problem. I think the butter makes air bubbles which explains the big ones, but I don't know about the lumpiness. I tried the NFSC once and thought it was too hard but I may give it another shot. Good luck to you!

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:16pm
post #8 of 14

Definitely consider a different recipe. Honestly, I don't think that recipe is designed for what you're trying to do. Try NFSC or one of the other recipes here. I use one by Peggy Porschen (?) that I get RAVES for.

Also, the timing of making cookies is important too. Make dough, chill, cut, then chill again. Use cool cookie sheets. That REALLY stops the spreading issue. If I'd known this earlier, I might never have started doing cakes... .LOL!!

TracyLH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #9 of 14

I didn't see that Honeydukes saw this, so here is a link to the those recipe links and helpful hints that she posted on another topic:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-617244.html

poohthebear Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #10 of 14

You know, I'm sure you all get tired of hearing it but you are wonderful. Okay so let's talk about the lumpy cookie top. When I roll them out and put them in the oven they are fine but they poof up and that's how they get lumpy I guess. I am going to try some of the other recipes but do you think I should do it now? Everyone that is ordering has already seen and tasted my cookies and love them. They are soft but firm enough to put on a stick. So I was thinking to wait until after Valentine's day to try the new recipes do you agree?????

poohthebear Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 14

P.S. The No Fail cookie recipe is the same as Wilton's which is what I use. Does that help anyone to decide why they are lumpy? That's why I have been decorating on the back. icon_smile.gif

Honeydukes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeydukes Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:15am
post #12 of 14

Tracy's got my back!

The only time I've had problems with lumpy cookies was when I was low on parchment paper and used flour to keep my cookies from sticking to the rolling pin. I dusted the top of the dough and then rolled. I tried to brush off the excess flour as best I could. When the cookies came out, they were lumpy. I used a spatula and gently pressed down on them while they were still warm. It helped, a bit.

I always use parchment to roll out my cookies. One sheet on the bottom and one on top. My recipe is very similar to the NFSC.

It's never a good time to experiment when you're under a deadline. If you're comfortable with your recipe, use it for this order. We all love to try new recipes. It might be best to wait until you have some time and aren't under pressure.
icon_smile.gif

TracyLH Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 4:51pm
post #13 of 14

Whew! There is Honeydukes! I was actually getting worried! icon_biggrin.gif

MadCatCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MadCatCookies Posted 6 Feb 2009 , 6:50am
post #14 of 14

For the lumps, use the spatula. Press down lightly while rubbing the spatula back and forth across the top of the cookie. Make sure the spatula is flat against the cookie. Watch the edges if you are going to fast, the spatula goes off and you pull back, you'll crack off the edge. Trust me, I know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%