What Recipe Do I Need To Try?

Baking By SeeChicletRun Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm by FullHouse

SeeChicletRun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeeChicletRun Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 12

I am going to make a Valentines day cake for my kids and hubby- usually I stick with the very basics, chocolate or vanilla cake and almond buttercream for filling and we are all happy with that. But Id like to try something different this time. What recipe(s) do I absolutely HAVE to try? What is your absolute favorite either cake,filling or frosting? Im a fairly competent baker so its okay if it is a little tricky icon_smile.gif

11 replies
SeeChicletRun Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:44pm
post #2 of 12

nobody has a favorite recipe? icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:22pm
post #3 of 12

I wish i had something to suggest for you . . But im a choc and vanilla gurl my self lol icon_smile.gif

misserica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misserica Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:28pm
post #4 of 12

I do not eat much cake myself (I know, dont throw stones, I am allergic to dairy) but I love chocolate cake...do you kids like fancy fillings? If so there was a thread a few days ago with tons, literally tons, of gourmet cake flavors and fillings. If you do not mind being daring check it out...I do not know how to post the link here (computer dunce) but the title is "HELP! Gourmet flavors????" and I kid you not, there are pages and pages of mouth watering recipes from all of the talented bakers on this site. Good luck and let us know what you ended up making.

KrissieCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrissieCakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 12

I love chocolate and vanilla cake too, so I don't really have any suggestions there! Why don't you try mixing it up a bit with a different filling? Raspberry mousse? Cookies and Cream? Nutella? Or a flavored buttercream - you could play with different flavored oils or maybe orange or lemon juice/zest.

Ah Ha...just had another thought, perfect for Valentine's day...Red Velvet! My kids love the bright red color and we all adore the taste, with a little cream cheese frosting..mmmm....now I want some!!! icon_smile.gif

amy2197 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amy2197 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:35pm
post #6 of 12

My husband loves chocolate cake with a nutella filling and nutella flavored buttercream.

devorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
devorie Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:41pm
post #7 of 12

The Whimsical Bakehouse has a delicious combo of walnut cake & nutella/whipped cream filling. If you want the recipe PM me.

SeeChicletRun Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 12

oh thank you everyone!! Im going to check out the fillings thread.

devorie my dh doesnt like walnuts, but that does sound so good!!

something_sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
something_sweet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 12
CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:02pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetestthing

I am making one of these!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308285.html

My mouth just filled up with saliva.

SeeChicletRun Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:51pm
post #11 of 12

I have that one in my favorites lol! Super YUM!

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:54pm
post #12 of 12

I'm going to make a fondant heart shaped Red Velvet cake with Decorator Cream Cheese frosting. My kids love the taste and it's the perfect color for Valentine's Day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%