How Many 8" And 10" Rounds To Serve 150?

Decorating By SliceTheCake Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm by indydebi

SliceTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SliceTheCake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 3

I have a bride that I'm working with who wants to have individual round cakes, size 8" and 10", that will be set out individually for her wedding. She is planning on 150 people, give or take. I'm confused looking over all the sizing charts. The first one I looked at (Earlene's) gave me three 10" and four 8" rounds to serve 150.
The second chart (Wilton) gives me two 10" and three 8" to serve 148 (which is close enough for the bride).

Is Wilton the "standard" for wedding cakes? I'm new to this and am not sure...and the difference between 5 cakes and 7 cakes is pretty significant IMO, lol.

Thank you for any advice!

2 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 3

i think earlenes gives bigger portions, so you will end up with more cakes. apparently though most cakes, if they are cut by caterers, will be done to the wilton chart. so most people do stick with wilton - you could always ask the bride which sizes she wants - and pointing out the difference in price will probably mean wilton!
xx

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:51pm
post #3 of 3

Agree with the above. If I'm the caterer, I'm cutting the cakes the wilton way. I believe (don't hold me to it) that Earline's chart gives about 50% more cake than wilton's (1.5 x 2 x 4 = 12 cubic inches ...... vs. wilton's 1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches). So if my price per serving is $3.00/wilton size, then my price for an Earline serving would be $4.50. Bigger serving, bigger price.

Wiltons' chart shows 8" cake serves 24; 10" cake serves 38.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%