Equivelent To Caandy Melts In The Uk Help Please ........

Sugar Work By cecb1 Updated 18 Aug 2014 , 3:34pm by cakebaby2

Jodirednose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jodirednose Posted 22 Oct 2013 , 7:01pm
post #31 of 42

AHi, im not sure if this is what your looking for but i make models and figures out of chocolate. I just buy cadburys from the cash and carry (because i like the taste) i melt it in the microwave and add golden syrup to it which instantly makes it into 'clay'. I love it. If you use white chocolate you can colour it or i have painted milk chocolate by mixing food colouring with vodka or you can airbrush it and it drys much quicker. I made a standing horse with this and i think it worked really well. Wilton candy melts are also available at hobbycraft for i think under £2. Hope this helps!

Madmegan12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Madmegan12 Posted 29 Oct 2013 , 9:14pm
post #32 of 42

They sell candy melts and also candy dips which are easier for cake pops at http://www.cakescookiesandcraftsshop.co.uk its a uk store located in london

lindseyjhills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindseyjhills Posted 30 Oct 2013 , 1:38am
post #33 of 42

When I used to make cake pops (life is now too short - :grin:). I used Sainsbury's Basics white chocolate which was 30p for 100g. You might have to hunt for it, they tend to put it on the bottom shelf of the chocolate section. I just melted it and added either cocol (chocolate) colours or powder colours. Didn't need to temper it, just melted it in a bain marie, stirred in the colour and dipped. The consistency was perfect, it set quickly and there was no need to add any extra oil (which people often say you have to do with candy melts).

CatB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatB Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 5:50pm
post #34 of 42

Hey, I've been looking to make cake pops and you need candy melts also. I didn't think any supermarkets would sell them so I looked in Hobbycraft and you can buy them there for just £3!!!:D:cake:

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 21 Feb 2014 , 6:18pm
post #35 of 42

APME have a candy coating that has the same function.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 8:35pm
post #36 of 42

AAnd renshaws.

natt12321 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
natt12321 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 10:45pm
post #37 of 42

Hobby craft definitely do Wilton Candy Melts, and a bunch of large suppliers of cake craft stuff across the UK do it so an internet search would probably yield a cheaper supplier than Hobby craft.

Personally I think they taste like nasty cheap white chocolate flavoured coating though.

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 5 Mar 2014 , 11:41pm
post #38 of 42

AWent to Hobbycraft Monday, candy melts on offer, two for a fiver.

Appletinii Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Appletinii Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 6:11pm
post #39 of 42

I've been to Tesco today and they stock their own "Chocolate Flavoured Cake Covering" I'm not sure whether it's the same thing as melts but its not made with cocoa butter like normal chocolate is and it comes in a bar form. They do it in White, Plain and Milk and its supercheap at 73p for a massive 300g bar


As for colouring, I'm planning to try Dr Oetkers gel colouring in white chocolate and I'll see how it turns out

MOONCAT13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOONCAT13 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 7:48pm
post #40 of 42

I live in the UK and visit my local Hobbycraft shop - they have a full range of Wilton Candy Melts.

MOONCAT13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MOONCAT13 Posted 7 Jul 2014 , 7:52pm
post #41 of 42

Forgot to add - you can get by mail order - free P&P if you spend over £30 on Hobbycraft on line. 


You get 15% discount for your first order (cant remember if that's a student off or not - the website will tell you).   If you are a student (that includes adult learners) you can sign up for an offer for 10% on every order.


 As I am doing a catering course at the local college (adult learner) - I get 10% off my shopping as well if I show my ID card in my local shop.

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 18 Aug 2014 , 3:34pm
post #42 of 42

lakeland sell candy melts, instore and online x

Quote by @%username% on %date%