Good Gravy...where Are All The Interesting Wedding Cakes?

Decorating By evasmama Updated 9 Feb 2009 , 5:00pm by mariela_ms

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:02am
post #1 of 77

Please forgive my rant...I don't mean to blast anyone's noticeable talent (and there's a lot around here!), but I am picky with what I like.

Where are all of the interesting wedding cakes? If I see one more plain white 3-tier cake with sprays of buttercream flowers down the side and some Swiss dots, I think I'm gonna vomit.

Does anyone specialize in the weird?

My wedding cake in 2003 was simple but semi-funky, inspired by a Martha Stewart design (I was not yet making cakes, so the caterer did it). I loved it, and I rarely see anything cool in today's weddings.

76 replies
evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:08am
post #2 of 77

Lemme clarify...I've seen lots of cool pics here in the forums. What I see that is so boring are the websites and brochures of places in my area. Don't very many bakeries do anything funky on purpose, or is it only special requests?

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:16am
post #3 of 77

Most bakeries don't go out on a limb with funky wedding cakes. However, some bride's want traditional instead of contemporary or funky.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:25am
post #4 of 77

I love doing funky cakes with lots of color!!! I really do try to guide couples into choosing something fun, however, most of my couples want white and classic.

I swanee, if I have to do one more all white, three tier stacked fondant cake with drop strings and red roses I will puke. The funny thing is, they all think they are SSSSOOOOO unique when they choose this cake. Gah.

On the lighter side, I have done that same cake so many times I can do it in my sleep, and it goes quickly.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:41am
post #5 of 77

Chutzpah, I'm so curious as to who that is in your pic. I've always wondered if it's you or a relative, or who?

I think bakeries that focus on production are going to do what's easiest and cost effective over special and creative. However, it's up to the couple to determine the style. Too bad some people don't have good style, right!?

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:44am
post #6 of 77

Hi Sugared Up!

It's not me, it is Florence King, the author. I love her right slap to death.

SugaredUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredUp Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:46am
post #7 of 77

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #8 of 77

I agree with you. When I got married 10 years ago the cakes in all the bridal magazines were all 'elegant' ivory or white 3 tier cakes with flower or ribbon decoration. Whilst I think many of these cakes are stunning they just didn't reflect my taste.

My MIL is a fabulous cake decorator so she gave some cake books to look through. The books were out of date and just showed traditional styles - I couldn't find one I liked so I just told her to do what she liked. I ended up with a two oval fruitcakes on a floating stand with a large spray of gumpaste flowers on top of each.

It was elegant but not my style at all. I wish I had known about this website and all the beautiful and non-traditional designs available. Perhaps I'll renew my vows and use it as an excuse to make a really cool wedding cake!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:13pm
post #9 of 77

I try to get clients to choose non-traditional designs, and sometimes I get some good ones. I had one couple get a cake that was decorated in swirly-fog colored buttercream and I made a topper that was a bride and groom who looked like the figure in Munch's "the Scream"

I can sometimes get people to do a lot of color, but I think that most people come in with a mental image of what a wedding cake "should" be, adn it's hard to get away from that. Not to mention that the mother of the bride is usually sitting there with a sour look on her face if the bride wants to stray from that. You know that she's going to hear about it on the car ride home.

I think that people are getting educated about what you can do, though, with more visible non-traditional cakes on tv these days. It's changing, but slooooowly. I totally know what oyu mean with the red roses and swiss dots! For me it's the white-on-white piping with different patterns on each tier. I can do that one in my sleep now.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:43pm
post #10 of 77

I wish every bride would give us decoraters free control over the cake and design everytime!! Imagine the stunning creations we could turn out!!

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #11 of 77

oops! duplicate post. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:07pm
post #12 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chutzpah

I love doing funky cakes with lots of color!!! I really do try to guide couples into choosing something fun, however, most of my couples want white and classic.

I swanee, if I have to do one more all white, three tier stacked fondant cake with drop strings and red roses I will puke. The funny thing is, they all think they are SSSSOOOOO unique when they choose this cake. Gah.

On the lighter side, I have done that same cake so many times I can do it in my sleep, and it goes quickly.

Okay, it's not that I look for these things but when they appear, I can't help but notice them....
Growing up, I got pegged all the time for saying that and decades later, a person in another country pops up saying it...wow! (it doesn't take much to amaze me...can't you tell?)

I am guilty of being one of those people who absolutely love the over decorated monochromatic cakes...some call them edwardian, some victorian, some something else...I love them

http://dsharp.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/02/29/msw_fall_06_piped_7tier_xl_2.jpg

my favorites is full of cakes similar to the one above

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #13 of 77

I'm a traditionalist, so some of the funky looking cakes "bug" me, but I love the creativity of them! I, too, am so bored with "dots and a ribbon" cakes I could scream. Geesh, it takes no talent to do those but it's what the bride wants, so it's what I make.

But traditionalist that I am, for my own birthday, I did all kinds of funky color!! http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1303013 (It may seem calm to some, but it's wild and carefree to me! icon_lol.gif )

Give me a good overpiped cake with BC roses, swags and stringwork that displays lots of creativity and talent and I love it!!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:03pm
post #14 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugaredUp

Chutzpah, I'm so curious as to who that is in your pic. I've always wondered if it's you or a relative, or who?

That's so funny! I've been wondering whether to ask the same question or not!

And Chutzpah, as she said.. thanks for satisfying our curiosity!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:16pm
post #15 of 77

Let's not forget the MOB's. My cousin really wanted me to do her cake but her mommy wanted a classic cake.

Keeping up with Jones' plays a part, too. Brides may want a wild cake, but then think twice if there is a chance someone will talk smack about it.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:17pm
post #16 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by evasmama

Please forgive my rant...I don't mean to blast anyone's noticeable talent (and there's a lot around here!), but I am picky with what I like.

Where are all of the interesting wedding cakes? If I see one more plain white 3-tier cake with sprays of buttercream flowers down the side and some Swiss dots, I think I'm gonna vomit.

Does anyone specialize in the weird?

My wedding cake in 2003 was simple but semi-funky, inspired by a Martha Stewart design (I was not yet making cakes, so the caterer did it). I loved it, and I rarely see anything cool in today's weddings.

icon_twisted.gif The wedding cake I am submitting to competition this weekend, is in my opinion very unusual, never seen anything like it before. Hopefully, it will be noticed for it's lack of stringwork, sugar flowers, etc.etc. The elements incorporated are handcut Persian theme medallions, molded gp jewels pearlized with metallic colors (didn't want to use jolly rancher looking candy....too typical! Let's see....24 kt gold spray accents, matted down a bit, lots of silver, copper, gold paint and lustre dust, and almost blood red highlights and dark green. Whew! Fun! And different!

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 77

OMG! I have the coolest wedding cake in the works right now! It is for delivery this weekend................I took pictures of a cake in Atlantic City at the RBA Expo in Albert Uster Imports booth and fell in love with it.........all black and white and really "funky" looking....I live in a small town and thought "I will never have a bride allow me to do this"... Anyway- I sketched one similar to it for the bride who told me to surprise her- but used her colors- teal, brown, and gold.........and she loved it! I was so excited...........I will post pictures Sunday!!!! It has lots of gumpaste flowers with dots and stripes on them!!!

FairyPoppins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FairyPoppins Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:16pm
post #18 of 77

I also think that brides tend to go for traditional looking cakes as they want to look back at the photos in 20 or so years later and know that their cake was elegant and 'timeless' rather than funky, trendy and possibly gaudy.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:34pm
post #19 of 77

That's a great point; I remember back in the 80's when we thought there was NOTHING wrong with our fashion, our hairstyles, our makeup, etc. but to look at pictures of myself now I just about die laughing!! So, what works for the here and now and considered 'cool and trendy' may be something a bride will regret down the road, so they stick with safe and classy.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:55pm
post #20 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callyssa

So, what works for the here and now and considered 'cool and trendy' may be something a bride will regret down the road, so they stick with safe and classy.

What's fun about that? lol. Times change. In 2030, nothing is going to change the fact that you looked like you grew up in the 2010's icon_razz.gif

It may look worse to be standing next to a plain white cake with highlights in my flat-ironed straight hair then that hairstyle of 2009 next to a fabulously supported crazy cake that looks like it might topple over in bold colors with a zombie hand sticking out of the top or 2 chocolate horses taking a bite out of the sides (ala Charm City Cakes).

Here's a pet-peeve: People saying they don't like the taste of fondant. It's not necessarily the taste (unless it's Wilton), it's the chewiness. But most importantly, there IS icing under the fondant. It's up the baker to make nummy icing. I suppose it's too much trouble for some to peel off fondant if they don't want to chew on it.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:12pm
post #21 of 77

I'm with you on the fondant thing; I love it! Much more so than bc, but I think people have heard enough negativity about it they go into tasting it automatically assuming it's bad, so, then they say it is.

Somethin-Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Somethin-Sweet Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #22 of 77

MacsMom:- You took the words outta my mouth!

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:19pm
post #23 of 77

I personally LOVE funky, unique, over the top cakes....lots of color, unconventional shapes..etc. Then again...I'm an 80's girl and I still can't wait for someone to tell me to go get a mega spiral perm and break out the electric blue eyeliner. If I have a bride that wants something really unique and fun but is afraid to go totally over the top, I recommend doing the completely wild design...but in different shades of white and add luster or glitter for texture contrast.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:24pm
post #24 of 77

I love funky cakes too. My very first wedding cake was a 3-D volcano that smoked. AWESOME!!

But we are limited by what the brides want.

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:29pm
post #25 of 77

Well, the brides aren't asking me for much, but the kids sure are. Here's one I did with rolled buttercream and fondant, it sure was a lot more fun.
LL

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:35pm
post #26 of 77

I've been an actual business since Oct. '07. I just did my 3rd bridal show. I had several brides come up to me and ask if I would even do fondant. Apparently the other cake person at the show said she would not work with fondant, not only because of the taste, but it was hard to work with. She's been doing this for over 20 years. I happened to bring some bite size pieces of fondant with me and had them try it. The Wilton is nasty, but I use Pettinice. The brides are surprised to find out that it doesn't taste bad. The other decorator sticks with the more traditional designs. I hate doing all that frilly stuff, and very rarely get requests for it. I do very few "all white" weddings either. I find that if it is the mom who has more input, it's more tradional. But if the bride is making her own choice, it's a whole lot modern.

Here's one I recently did. The original design was in fondant, but they wanted to stick with all buttercream. http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1310245

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:50pm
post #27 of 77

Yes, funky cakes are fun , but IMHO - sometimes simple is the most elegant. And many brides want elegant on their wedding day.

SweetHeather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetHeather Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:09pm
post #28 of 77

Hey jkalman, I am down with that!!! A volcano that smokes...how coooooooool. By the way...I am from NH!! Grew up in Manchester, Auburn area. Moved after high school and only go back to visit family. It's just cool to see someone from NH...rarely happens to me!!

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:21pm
post #29 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I had one couple get a cake that was decorated in swirly-fog colored buttercream and I made a topper that was a bride and groom who looked like the figure in Munch's "the Scream".

Ok costumeczar- You've really piqued my curiosity..... do you have a picture of this cake that you'd be willing to show us? It sounds awesome!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:23pm
post #30 of 77

Interesting topic - and how timely. My friend and I were just discussing a couple days ago that we're afraid we've finally seen it all as far as cakes go. We haven't really seen anything new or unusual and all the cake magazines are starting to look exactly the same. I've cancelled a couple of my subscriptions already because it seems that every month is a recycled version of the previous month's issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%