Cake Servngs? Lactose Intollerant Bride/groom

Decorating By CandyLady Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm by CandyLady

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:52pm
post #1 of 5

shower cake requested to feed 40 people...would like a stacked cake...what size pans would you use, and don't want to be skimpy...what about lactose intolerable bride/groom....what I never put milk in my buttercream but what about butter,,,,I am not familiar with lactose intleranance.

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:11am
post #2 of 5

I am lactose intolerant, but butter has never bothered me (okay, if I ate a pound of it all at once icon_smile.gif ). Generally, if the milk product is in small enough quantities mixed in with other stuff, it doesn't really give problems. Even if you use a pound of butter in a batch of icing, one person is not getting all that much. One batch of my icing could easily do a cake for 40 people. So each person is getting approx 1/40th a pound of butter. It's such a small amount that it shouldn't cause any problems, even for the most sensitive lactose intolerant person.

If, however, they have a milk allergy, that is an entirely different situation. Someone who is allergic to milk may have a reaction to even the smallest bit of milk, just as someone with a peanut allergy may have a reaction to a microscopic bit of peanut.

buffim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buffim Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:15am
post #3 of 5

I'm lactose intolerant as well and don't have problems with butter, though I'm still figuring out what all I have problems with!

I would double check with the bride/groom though because I have a friend who can't touch butter....

sweet_teeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_teeth Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

I'm lactose intolerant as well and butter is just fine for me icon_smile.gif

CandyLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CandyLady Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:48pm
post #5 of 5

thank you all...I was reading up on it and they said some folks cant even eat cake mixes...I never use milk in my icing so I should be ok but will confirm with sister of bride to be.

Now for the amount of servings, how big should my two layers be to feed 40 people....and would I need to dowel cake...thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%