Preparing For A Show

Business By itsacake Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm by Solecito

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:29pm
post #1 of 8

I will be one of two (I think ) cake vendors in a Fair happening March 1. It is of short duration 11:00AM to 3:00PM. There will be 38 total vendors. I believe the other baker may be a very well-established business with two shops. I, on the other hand, haven't done this before and am newly legal renting kitchen time and working from my house. I'd like to look very professional, but don't have a huge budget. I just ordered dummies to make two or three display cakes and I plan to have a laptop there to show rotating pictures of some of the cakes I've done in the past. I will have one or two copies of my portfolio there as well. My business partner will be there to help run our table.. The only thing that will be supplied to us is a 6 foot table and a blue tablecloth. I think the tablecloth is optional.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm particularly interested in opinions about the best way to distribute samples. Some of you do mini cupcakes, some use plastic containers with lids. I could do either of these or something else. What other options are there and what are the pros and cons of all of these methods? Does anyone give out samples from trays and use imprinted napkins? I had thought to bake sheet cakes, tort, fill, ice and lay on a lattice of fondant. Don't know if this is a good idea because the napkins are a bit expensive and I wonder if people prefer things more "packaged."

I've read a lot of advice about this on here in the past, but now that I need it, my searches are not turning up much. I hate re-inventing the wheel when I know you all have experience so thanks in advance for advice or links to past threads.

7 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #2 of 8

Def do the mini cupcakes or plastic souffle cups (that's what I use.) The cut edges of your sheet cake will dry out and you need to be talking to brides, not cutting cake. And those lovely napkin will just wind up in the trash.

Make a label with your website on it for the lid of the cups. And make sure there is NOT a trashcan at the corner of your booth. You want to force them to throw the cup with your info on it into their bag.

itsacake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:08am
post #3 of 8

Thanks leahs! That's exactly the kind of advice I'm looking for! I never would have thought of not having a trashcan so they get stuck with the cups LOL!

What size souffle cup are you using and how are you filling them?

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #4 of 8

We have done three bridal shows now. We have done mini cupcakes at each show and had them sitting on a cupcake tower. When someone walked by they were able to grab a cupcake. Our hands were free to hand out brochures and business cards. It was also a seller for our cupcake tower. Many brides are wanting cupcakes instead of wedding cake, so our presentation helped sell our cupcakes. They are easy to handle and we just transported them on sheet cake pans and just kept refillng the tower when the crowds thinned.

Leave yourself free to be able to talk with the brides. You only have a few seconds to grab their attention. If you have something unique that you do, then showcase that as well. If you want to see our setup at our bridal show here is a picture of our table.
LL

PatricesPieces Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:29am
post #5 of 8

I should have added....you are usually allowed to decorate your table anyway you like, so this is a chance to showcase your style. We like the black background because it makes the cakes pop. With a white background, you sometimes lose your wedding cakes in that color. We were only given a 6ft table to use, so we brought a 4ft table to make the "L" shape. You also want to set your display toward the back of your booth, that way they have to walk into your booth. You do not want to be standing behind your table handing out samples. It's restrictive and puts a barrier between you and the bride. You want to be right there talking with them and showing them your samples. This is just what I have learned doing my last few shows. You will be tired, but you will have fun. Enjoy!!

Hope this helps.

itsacake Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:20am
post #6 of 8

Thanks, Serenatea.

Your booth is beautiful! I'll have to start smaller, with fewer displays, but I very much like your advice not to stand behind the table and to use the display to show your own style. I like your idea of bringing a second table to make an " L" I'll have to see if that is allowed.

PatricesPieces Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:34am
post #7 of 8

Good luck and if you need anything else, feel free to PM me. I will share any advice I have.

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%