Wedding Cake Serving Sizes

Business By shaloop Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm by shaloop

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 12

I know different bakers use different serving size charts or even create their own. I'm just trying to get an idea of what is most commonly used. If you were making a 3 tier cake to serve 100 (Including top tier in servings) would you use:

6, 9, 12 or 6, 10, 14 ?

11 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 12

I use the 6/10/14 and charge them for 128 servings. I don't own any odd size pans (no 9's, 15's, etc.)

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:39pm
post #3 of 12

6,9,12 are the most common cake I make.

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 12

6,9,12 would be my choice. To me a 3" difference is the most aesthetically pleasing and the bride doesn't have to pay for extra servings.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:29pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I use the 6/10/14 and charge them for 128 servings. I don't own any odd size pans (no 9's, 15's, etc.)

Indy, go buy some fricken pans for crying out loud. Stick the cost on one of those detailed spread sheets of yours--you will make it back in no time.

You're doing fondant and scratch.
Now you can do odd cakes too. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 12

While you're in a buying mood--get some cheese for hubby's macaroni too, poor baby!!!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:33pm
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Indy, go buy some fricken pans for crying out loud. Stick the cost on one of those detailed spread sheets of yours--you will make it back in no time.

Oh come on! That would be THREE NEW THINGS in a single year! I can't take it, I tell ya, I can't take it! Don't make me! icon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:

Oh come on! That would be THREE NEW THINGS in a single year! I can't take it, I tell ya, I can't take it! Don't make me! icon_cry.gif

Now now it'll be ok. You can wait till next quarter if you want but you are just delaying being able to plan a cake easier. But I do feel your pain.

You shoulda said,

"But Kate I don't wanna make odd cakes like yours.

Anyway--just attempting some humor. icon_lol.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:46am
post #9 of 12

Well, Indy you learned fondant last year.

And I too do a lot of 6/9/12 which I consider 102 servings, or close enough to 100. It makes a pretty cake.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:16am
post #10 of 12

Come on now Debi.... that little shell of yours has to explode sometime right?? icon_wink.gif

indydebi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:27am
post #11 of 12

I dont' know ... there's a REASON they call things "traditional"! icon_biggrin.gif

shaloop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaloop Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 2:46pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks for the replies so far. I just quoted two brides 6, 19, 12 for 100 servings and just am having worries as these will be my first paid cakes. Just wanted a general consensus. Thanks. Anymore input is appreciated as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%