How Do I .....

Decorating By TastyTiffy Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm by sugarbees

TastyTiffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TastyTiffy Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:32pm
post #1 of 9

I'm planning on modeling figures of her favorite characters for my daughters 2nd birthday cake, I was wondering what I should use and if there are some recipes I could try to play around with. This is the first time I am attempting this so I was just wondering how to go about it icon_smile.gif Thank you so much in advance for your help!

8 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 9

I'm sure you won't here this too often...but I use starburst & tootsie rolls. I don't have gumpaste experience because I never want to make any....I can soften some candy and play a lot quicker.
[/img]
LL

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:13am
post #3 of 9

Fondant or a mixture of 1/2 fondant & 1/2 gumpaste is great.
I found the Starbursts a little hard to work with.

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:52am
post #4 of 9

I like using candy clay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpcMYqJ15GQ&feature=channel_page
But man ddaigle, that is awesome!! I need to keep a bag of those around just to play with!!

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:55am
post #5 of 9

I don't have the interest in doing figures....but with my method...I can play a little......eat a little....etc. But my husband keeps eating my inventory!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:44am
post #6 of 9

lol-boo to hubby! Hide the merchandise! icon_lol.gif

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:02am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

I'm sure you won't here this too often...but I use starburst & tootsie rolls. I don't have gumpaste experience because I never want to make any....I can soften some candy and play a lot quicker.
[/img]

I just love this idea, and what fun for the kids to eat. You did a great job of modeling it.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

[/img]

Wow!! Your little tootsie roll man looks great! I never would have thought of using tootsie rolls.

sugarbees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarbees Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:16pm
post #9 of 9

I would eat more than I sculpted..lol.. I will have to try the starburst/tootsie rolls..thanks for the idea

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%