Syrup Recipe Request

Baking By Caths_Cakes Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm by ddaigle

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 12

im hoping some one can help, im sure you can icon_smile.gif im looking for some Tasty syrup recipes, ive heard its just sugar/water . . and what ever you want the flavour off. ive had a look on google, but looking for Tried and tested real working recipes icon_smile.gif

i make a great Vanilla sponge, but id really like to have a way to offer much more choice, right now its either Vanilla or chocolate. i hope some one can offer me some advice icon_smile.gif thank you

11 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 12

If you dont mind my asking, why can you only make either a chocolate or a vanilla cake??

Usually if someone mists or brushes simple syrup on a cake, they do it more to keep the cake moist, not necessarily for flavor. The syrup itself doesnt really lend enough flavor to really flavor a cake, and even then the flavor would only be on the outside, not the inside. If you want your cake to be a different flavor, you should try a particular flavor cake recipe.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 12:53am
post #3 of 12

What she ^^^^ said.

Just so you know, though, simple syrup is made from equal parts water and sugar by weight (and the weight of water is easy, a pint of water weighs one pound). Mix the water and sugar together and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir gently until all the sugar is dissolved (do not stir too vigorously or you may form crystals). If you want to flavor it, add at this point. HTH!

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:31am
post #4 of 12

Brandy Simple Syrup

Serves/Yields: 2 cups syrup for 2 cakes. (24 servings)
Prep. Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Category: Frostings
Difficulty: easy

Simple Syrup is brushed on cakes for added moisture and flavor. This one can be flavored with brandy or rum.

2 cups water
1 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 cup brandy

1 In a saucepan, combine water, sugar and lemon zest. Bring mixture to a boil and continue boiling for 5 minutes. Strain into a sealable container, removing the lemon zest. Allow to cool, then cover and store in refrigerator.

2 When ready to use, mix in brandy. Brush onto cake layers before frosting.

Source: Glory
Contributed by: on Monday, April 26. 2004 at 16:33:22
thumbs_up.gif

miasuzzette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miasuzzette Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:46am
post #5 of 12

I wasn't the one that Made it. It's really Good. In Puerto Rico, That's How they Make it, Too . Thanks to the one that Posted the Recipe. thumbs_up.gif

Thank You
Margie from CT

Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:10am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

If you dont mind my asking, why can you only make either a chocolate or a vanilla cake??

Usually if someone mists or brushes simple syrup on a cake, they do it more to keep the cake moist, not necessarily for flavor. The syrup itself doesnt really lend enough flavor to really flavor a cake, and even then the flavor would only be on the outside, not the inside. If you want your cake to be a different flavor, you should try a particular flavor cake recipe.

Its not so much i can ONLY do vanilla and chocolate, its just that they are the preffered favourite for me
Ive only been baking a few month, And i havent found a scratch recipe for my self yet, So i stick to the box mixes i know work well for me. I have added Lemon juice to my buttercream and it was lovley icon_smile.gif. ive seen so many different and yummy sounding flavour cakes on here, but i honestly i just wouldnt know where to start. i thought if i just added some flavoured syrups to a plain sponge it wud give it some extra kick icon_smile.gif

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:23am
post #7 of 12

I often use syrups when making genoise sponge cakes. I suggest getting yourself some liqueurs - Kahlua, Frangelico, Rum, Calvados, Limoncello etc. and add about two tablespoons per cup of syrup. Although the quantity is really a matter of personal preference so just experiment.

Have fun icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 11:29am
post #8 of 12

Oh those sound yummy icon_smile.gif I never thought about putting liquers in icon_smile.gif will have to try some of my faves and see how they go !! thank you icon_smile.gifX

Jayde Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 12:22am
post #9 of 12

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

Try adding this to any cake mix, any flavor (strawberry, butter pecan, pineapple, etc.). Sift your flour, sugar, and your cake mix before mixing. I get rave reviews, and you dont need syrup to moisten it.

MaloSlatko Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaloSlatko Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:09am
post #10 of 12

Jayde, I have to say this, I LOVE your avatar icon_smile.gif

Jayde Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks I have gotten more than one compliment. icon_biggrin.gif

The funny part about it, is that I am so not a cookie baker. I mean I bake them, but for for a personal thing, not to sell. I was choosing my avatar, when my best friend was over. He liked this one the best. I wish that it said cake not cookies though.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 4:19pm
post #12 of 12

I just added some syrup recipes to our vault...not sure how long it takes to show up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%