Buttercream Under Fondant?

Decorating By CookieMeister Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm by stephaniescakenj

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 13

Dummy question time! icon_smile.gif I'm fairly new to the cake world in general, fondant in particular. I have in mind a design for a cake I want to take to a party on Friday, but it'll need fondant. I know marshmallow fondant is quite tasty, but no supplier here sells it locally, and I won't have time to make my own fondant (and I've never done that before, so I don't want to risk it while time is tight). Of course, I want my cake to look AND taste good.

I was watching a cake show over the weekend where it looked like they had a significant layer of buttercream (not just a thin layer) underneath the fondant. I can't imagine how they did this - maybe it was my imagination?

Anybody done this? If so, how do you do it and not get the buttercream to squish all around?

12 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 13

Chill the cake before applying the fondant.

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 13

Cakemeister...true, MMF is very tasty....and it only takes minutes to make. Try whipping up some today or tomorrow and see how you like it and how easy it is. Then, if you don't like it, you still have time to go buy some. Deb

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 13

As far as buying fondant goes, I am NOT a fan of the Wilton brand...very weird tasting...I AM a fan of Satin Ice, so if you can find that in your area I would definately go with that.

However, fondant is not hard to make if you decide to go that route instead. I highly recommend Michele Foster's recipe that's in the recipe section here!

Everyone is different about how much buttercream they use underneath fondant...if you're wary about "squishing", just apply a light layer and see how that goes. You'll soon figure out what your ideal BC-Fondant ratio is.

Good Luck! icon_smile.gif

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 9:48pm
post #5 of 13

I do a pretty thick layer of IMBC under my fondant, I can't stand the texture of fondant and most people around here share the same sentiment so most of us just pick it off. I chill my cakes before applying the fondant and it works just fine.

CookieMeister Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle

Cakemeister...true, MMF is very tasty....and it only takes minutes to make. Try whipping up some today or tomorrow and see how you like it and how easy it is. Then, if you don't like it, you still have time to go buy some. Deb

I may give it a try! I appreciate the encouragement. I work long hours, and I'm already dragging because I had 40+ people over for a super bowl party yesterday - I think it'll take me longer than a week to recover! I'll try it tonight while I watch my trainwreck TV (the Bachelor is on!)

I hadn't thought about chilling the cake before. Is the fridge sufficient or should I put it in the freezer?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:52pm
post #7 of 13

Fridge should be sufficient, but if you want to speed things up go for the freezer. And Michele's fondant is yummy!

CookieMeister Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 10:55pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks, everyone! You're the best!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 13

Cute poochie... is it yous?? I *heart* cute puppies.

I second Michele Foster's fondant recipe.. it's in the recipe section here. I make it ALL the time.. making some tonight actually.. LOL.

CookieMeister Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:01am
post #10 of 13

That's my baby girl, Sascha. She's not much of a baby anymore - she just had her 3rd birthday (and I made her the pup cake in the recipe section for her b-day!) I have 3 siberian huskies - they are the light of my life, and the hair in my house. icon_biggrin.gif

I made the Michelle Foster fondant! Wow, that was easy! I'll find out tomorrow how easy it is to work with. My Wilton instructor acted like making homemade fondant was the most tedious thing in the world.

I'm excited!!!

Thanks again everybody!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #11 of 13

We all thought that until we tried it, and FWIW I think making MMF is tedious... but Michele's fondant is super easy. icon_biggrin.gif

Sacha is such a cutie!!!! I love Huskies... the way they talk when they yowl... Aiiii yuuuu rooooooo!!!! Sounds like I love you. *melt*

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 3:46pm
post #12 of 13

more buttercream just means bigger hollows if you stick your thumb in the side by mistake! just be careful anyway. good luck icon_smile.gif
xx

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 6:18pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

We all thought that until we tried it, and FWIW I think making MMF is tedious... but Michele's fondant is super easy. icon_biggrin.gif

Sacha is such a cutie!!!! I love Huskies... the way they talk when they yowl... Aiiii yuuuu rooooooo!!!! Sounds like I love you. *melt*

That is too funny. my neighbors have a husky named tenya and she says I love you too! The say to her, say I love you Tenya and she does it on cue. I thought they had the smartest dog in town, what's funny is then I look over at my dog who is scared of her own shadow and is constantly walking right smack into things like walls, the couch, the table and I think .. ok mine can't walk without running into something and the dog across the street can say I love you... Where'd I go wrong? icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%